||Anteater Weekly - Week 8
February 26, 2007
* ASUCI & Hip Hop Congress present "Make You Feel That Way:" March 1, 7 to 11 p.m., Crawford Hall. The first annual Urban Arts Festival, bringing together all the elements of Hip Hop. Visual Art of all forms, Break Dancing Battle, Special Guest DJ Pete Rock, and Blackalicious. Free with UCI ID. Visit http://www.asuci.uci.edu.
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* National Eating Disorder Awareness Week: February 25 through March 3:
- Great Jeans Giveaway, Health Education
- February 27 & 28, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Ring Road: Body Image Events.
- March 1, 5 p.m., UCI Bookstore: Aimee Liu, author of "Gaining: The Truth about Life After Eating Disorders."
- Sponsored by Health Education Center, Student Health Mental Health Services, Counseling Center, & Athletics.
* UCI Community Outreach Partnership Center presents Growing Together: New Strategies for Creating and Sharing Prosperity in California's Regions: February 28, 6 p.m., U. Club. Lecture by Manuel Pastor of UC Santa Cruz. Reception: 6 p.m.; and lecture: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Free. Visit http://webfiles.uci.edu/copc/www/index.html.
* UCI Bookstore and Health Education Center present Aimee Liu, Author Event: March 1, 5 p.m., UCI Bookstore. Hear Aimee Liu read her new book titled "Gaining: The Truth About Life After Eating Disorders." Refreshments. Visit http://www.book.uci.edu.
* Gender Education Series presents Medea Benjamin: March 1, 7 to 8:30 p.m., ELH 100. Medea Benjamin, Founding Director of the Human Rights Group Global Exchange. In 2005, Medea was nominated as one of the 1,000 exceptional women from around the world to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Visit http://www.dos.uci.edu/ges/.
ATHLETIC & RECREATION EVENTS
* UCI Athletics events. Visit http://www.athletics.uci.edu.
- February 28, 7 p.m., Crawford Court: Men's Volleyball vs. UCSD.
- March 3, 4 p.m., Bren Events Center: Women's Basketball vs. Long Beach State. Beat the beach.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Social Sciences Academic Resource Center events. Visit http://www.socsci.uci.edu/ssarc.
- Careers in Social Science: February 26, 3:30 p.m., SST 370 A/C. Refreshments.
- Interview Techniques Workshop: February 27, 3:30 p.m., SST 370 A/C. Refreshments.
- Community Service Workshop: February 28, 3 p.m., SST 370 A/C. Featuring OC Salvation Army's Director of Communications and Public Relations, Barry Frost.
* Vice Chancellor Manuel N. Gomez is holding Office Hours: February 28, 1:30 to 3 p.m., 405 Administration. You are invited to visit with the Vice Chancellor to share an idea, to say hello, or to discuss a concern.
* UCDC Information Session: February 28, 4 to 5 p.m., SS II, 1010AB. Application deadline for Fall 07/Winter 08 is April 9. Visit http://www.dccenter.uci.edu.
- UC Center Sacramento Internship Program deadline: March 2. Visit http://uccs.universityofcalifornia.edu or stop by SS II, 1100.
* UCI Police Department presents Hiring Community Service Officers: February 26, 12 p.m., 100 Public Services Bldg. Hiring responsible, out-going, full-time UCI students. CSO's work 12-19.5 flexible, weekly hours. CSO's do work in the evening and receive a starting hourly pay of $8.50.
* Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships announces the availability of the 2007-2008 online Scholarship Application for continuing UCI students. Awards from $500 to full in-state fees. For applications visit http://www.ofas.uci.edu/visualaid/login.aspx and select the scholarship link for 2007-08. Deadline is March 15, 2007, at 11:59 p.m.
* UCI Counseling Center presents Peer Educator Workshops: February 26, 12 p.m., Counseling Center. Eight free sessions. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu/.
- Clubs, RAs, & Organizations - take advantage of workshops offered by the Counseling Center's Peer Educator Program, from Stress Management to Test Anxiety to Relationships, and more. Request a workshop at:
- Become a Peer Educator. Applications available. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu/outreach/peprogram.aspx.
* Career Center workshops at the Career Center unless otherwise noted. RSVP on zotlink. Visit http://www.career.uci.edu.
- February 26, 1 p.m.: OCI Orientation.
- February 27, 2 p.m.: Interview Techniques. 2 to 4 p.m.: Grad Students - Creating a Teaching Portfolio, SS II 1010.
- February 28, 12 p.m.: Focus Group. Free pizza. Email email@example.com to sign up.
- March 1, 12 p.m.: OCI Orientation. 4 to 6 p.m.: Panel: Career Options for Humanities and Arts Grad Students.
- March 2: One-On-One Interviews. Sign up at the Career Center.
- Career Fest Panels, all 5 p.m. RSVP on zotlink.
- February 26, 5 p.m.: Career in Alternative Medicine.
Nonprofit Careers, Career Center.
- February 27: Careers in Engineering, McDonald Douglas Engineering Auditorium.
Career in Higher Education, Career Center.
- February 28: Career as an M.D., Career Center.
Careers in Government, Career Center.
- March 2: Peer Consultant Applications are due by 5 p.m.
* Teaching English Abroad Information Session: February 26, 2 to 3:30 p.m., University Extension, Bldg.C, 110-111. RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://extension.uci.edu/teachabroad.
* Counseling Center events at the Career Center. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Graduate Student Women's Group: February 26, 1 to 3 p.m. An interactive, process-oriented group addressing personal concerns with an emphasis on the special needs and issues for graduate women.
- Overcoming Writers' Block Group: February 27, 10 to 11:30 a.m. For graduate students - members will explore barriers to writing such as avoidance, procrastination, perfectionism, and anxiety.
- International Coffee Hour: February 27, 1 to 3 p.m. Come and meet interesting students from all over the world. Relax and enjoy lively conversations and refreshments.
- Anxiety and Stress Management: February 27, 3:30 to 5 p.m. A group for students dealing with anxiety and stress. Learn specific techniques and gain support from others.
- Asian American Women's Group: February 28, 2 to 3:30 p.m. A support group focusing on Asian American Women's issues including family pressures, dating, and intergenerational conflicts.
- Living with Loss: A Grief and Loss Support Group: February 28, 3:30 to 5 p.m. A supportive group for those who have experienced the death of a loved one.
- LGBT Group: February 28, 5 to 6:30 p.m. In a small comfortable group, members will discuss issues such as coming out, dating, self-acceptance, and societal negativity.
- Estamos Unidos: March 1, 3:30 to 5 p.m. A discussion group for Chicano/Latino students that addresses cultural concerns in a university environment.
* UCI Summer Session Travel-Study presents Free Film Screening: Breathless directed by Jean-Luc Godard: February 26, 6 p.m., HIB 110. Special introduction by Professor Ed Dimendberg. Visit http://www.summer.uci.edu.
* Teaching English Abroad Information Session: February 27, 2 to 3:30 p.m., University Extension, Bldg.C, 110-111. RSVP at email@example.com. Visit http://extension.uci.edu/teachabroad.
* UCDC Academic Internship Program Info Session: February 28, 4 to 5 p.m., SSII, 1010AB. Live, Learn, and Intern in Washington DC. Visit http://www.dccenter.uci.edu.
* Enroll online starting March 1, for Summer Session 2007, at http://www.summer.uci.edu. Pick up your 2007 catalog at our booth: March 1, 2, 5, & 6: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Ring Road.
Pay for only 8 units.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated presents the 9th annual Gospel Extravaganza Program: March 3, 7 p.m., SSLH 100. Featuring choirs, soloists, poets, and dancers from UC Irvine and beyond.
* Buddhists for World Peace presents Leading A Winning Life Through Human Revolution: February 28, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., SSL 168. Open to all. Short DVD on the history of Buddhism & SGI first.
* Best Buddies meeting: February 26, 7:30 p.m., SSL 168. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/bestbuddies/about.htm.
* Chinese Association Talent Show: March 1, 7 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.cauci.com.
* Chinese Christian Fellowship: March 1, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., HIB 110. To receive emails contact Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/ccf.
* Circle K International meeting: February 28, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., SST 220B. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* Engineering Honor Society (Tau Beta Pi) Taulent Show: March 2, 7 p.m., SSLH 100. Cash prizes. Sign up to participate at: http://esc.eng.uci.edu/tbp/show. Open to all. Email email@example.com for more information. Visit http://esc.eng.uci.edu/tbp.
* Hapa MIX (Multicultural Interracial Experience) meeting: March 1, 7 p.m., HH 105.
* Irvine Campus Fellowship Weekly Bible Study: February 26, 7:30 to 9:10 p.m., SSTR 102. Visit http://www.mseedlabs.org/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.HomePage.
* Latino Business Student Association meeting: March 1, 5 p.m., SST 220B. Visit http://www.lbsairvine.com.
* Latter-Day Saint Student Association presents Institute: February 26, 12 to 1 p.m., Interfaith Center. Bible & religion classes: Mon. & Wed. 12 & 2 p.m. Visit http://lds.org/institutes/home/0,8473,768-1-36-60068,00.html.
* M.E.Ch.A. Mes de la Raza Committee meeting: February 28, 7 to 8 p.m., SSL 120. Visit http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
* M.E.Ch.A. meeting: February 28, 5 to 6:30 p.m., CCC. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/mecha/.
* Muslim Student Union and UNICEF present Invisible Children Documentary Screening: February 26, 5 p.m., SSLH 100. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2240320695.
* Public Health Association at UCI meeting: February 28, 6 to 7 p.m., SST 220A. Visit http://ucipublichealth.googlepages.com/.
* Socialist Organizer presents Revolutionary Study Group: February 27, 7 to 8 p.m., HH 142. Visit http://www.socialistorganizer.org.
* Society of Women Engineers Networking Night: February 28, 6 p.m., Atrium Hotel. Tickets on sale now. Dinner provided. Bring your resumes. Visit http://www.ucirvd.info/swe/.
* Students for Peace and Justice meeting: February 27, 6 to 7 p.m., SSL 119. Discussion of current events and the war in Iraq.
* Swing Dancing Club meeting: February 26, 7 p.m., HICF 100A. Open to all. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/swingclub/.
* Women in Information and Computer Sciences (WICS) presents Dinner with the Dean and Female Professors: March 1, 7 p.m., Tolkien Room, Pippin Commons. RSVP at email@example.com. Deadline: 12 p.m., February 27. Visit http://www.ics.uci.edu/~wics.
* Young Democrats at UCI presents Where's The War? Rally: February 28, 12 to 1 p.m., Flagpoles. Visit http://www.wheresthewar.com.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, log on to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.