Anteater Weekly - Week 8
May 18, 2009
* Help to continue a time-honored tradition. By making a
financial contribution to the 2009 Senior Class Giving Campaign, you will ensure that today's graduates and future Anteaters can continue to work together in support of their alma mater. Give any amount to any area on campus. For more information visit
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* Critical Theory Institute presents 2009 Wellek Library Lectures with Rosalyn Deutsche: May 18, 19 & 21, 5 to 7 p.m., HIB 135. Lecture titled "Hiroshima after Iraq: Three Studies in Art and War." Visit http://www.humanities.uci.edu/critical.
* UCI Wind Ensemble Spring Concert: May 20, 8 to 8:30 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall (Music Dept., corner of Mesa and W. Peltason). Admission is free. Open to all. Desserts and refreshments after. Visit http://music.arts.uci.edu/wind.php.
* Parking & Transportation Services presents Autopalooza - A Free Car Care Event: May 21, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., CT Parking Lot (corner of California/Arroyo). UCI alternative fuel research groups and their vehicles will be on display, and Auto Club Automotive experts will answer your questions. Free food and giveaways. RSVP at http://www.parking.uci.edu/parking/autopalooza.cfm.
ARTS & CULTURAL EVENTS
* Orange County Performing Arts Center offers student rush tickets to all performances of the Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg, when the company gives the Southern California premiere of Onegin: May 20, 22 through 24, Segerstrom Hall. Student rush ticket prices: $20 for orchestra seats and $10 for tier seats.
- Student rush tickets are available one hour before each performance. A valid student ID is required at the time of purchase, with a limit of two tickets per person, which must be paid for in cash.
* University Art Gallery presents Set Pieces, Studio Art MFA Thesis Exhibition Part II: May 14 - May 29, University Art Gallery (UAG)/ Room Gallery. Gallery Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m.
- Set Pieces will showcase works by Claire Trevor School of the Arts graduate students Marcus Civin, Laurel Frank, Jen Smith, Sean Sullivan, Grant Vetter, and Maya Weimer. Performances by Civin will be featured during the reception: May 21, 12:45 p.m.
- Visit http://ucigallery.com and http://www.mfa2009.org.
* Film and Video Center presents Grindhouse Presents - Planet Terror: May 21, 7 p.m., HIB 100. Visit http://www.filmandvideocenter.com.
ATHLETIC & RECREATION EVENTS
* Campus Recreation presents Cooking Classes at the ARC: May 19, 6 to 8 p.m., ARC. Host a Memorial Day party that everyone will remember, a relaxed yet stylish event with plenty of fantastic party foods. Fee: $25. Visit http://www.campusrec.uci.edu.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Career Center events in the Career Center Training Room.
- May 18, 3 p.m.: Let Your Generation Be Heard: Communication in the Workplace
- May 19, 2 p.m.: The Resume Writing Workshop
- May 19, 3:30 p.m.: Professionalism and Dining Etiquette
- May 20, 1 p.m.: Tools to Get an Internship
- May 22: One-On-One Mock Interview (by appointment only)
- Visit http://www.career.uci.edu.
* Center for International Education - EAP Study Abroad application deadline: May 18, 4:30 p.m., Student Services II, 1100. Study abroad 2009-2010 program deadline for Australia, Brazil, France, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, South Africa, and more.
- For more information, visit the Center for International Education or call 824-6343. Visit http://www.cie.uci.edu.
* Counseling Center Group meetings in Student Services I, 203.
Interested students please call the front desk at 824-6457. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu/.
- Mondays: 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: International Coffee Hour. Open to all.
- Mondays, 1:30 to 3 p.m.: Dissertation Support Group.
- Tuesdays, 1:30 to 3 p.m.: LGBT Graduate Students Group.
- Tuesdays, 2 to 3:30 p.m.: Women of Color.
- Tuesdays, 3:30 to 5 p.m.: Estamos Unidas.
- Mondays, 3:30 to 5 p.m.: Campus Assault Resources and Education sponsored group. Sexual Assault and Intimate Partner Violence Group. For info contact Mandy Mount, Ph.D. at 824-7273.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* ABC (Anteater Book Club) meeting: May 20, 5:30 p.m., HH 210. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://abcanteaterbookclub.blogspot.com/.
* American Indian Student Association (AISA) presents a Native American POWWOW: May 30, 8 a.m., Mesa Court Field. Visit
http://clubs.uci.edu/aisa/powwow.php and http://www.airp.uci.edu/index.php.
* Anteaters' Habitat for Humanity meeting: May 19, 6:30 to 7 p.m., HH 118. Visit http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=2200248604.
* Baha'i Club (Baha'i) meeting: May 21, 7 p.m., CCC, Board Room. Email email@example.com.
* CFC Youth at UCI presents Praisefest: May 22, 6 to 10 p.m., SSLH 100. Visit http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=2200498096&ref=ts.
* Cal Teach Club meeting: May 19, 7 to 8 p.m., BP 1121.
* Chinese Association (CAUCI) Meeting/Casino Night: May 21, 7 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.cauci.com.
* Danse L'Affaire presents Latin/Ballroom Dance Class: May 20, 9:30 p.m., Email firstname.lastname@example.org for location. Visit http://latinballroom.org.
* Dean's Ambassadors Council presents Dean's Day 2009 : May 20, 12 to 2 p.m., SSPA. Email email@example.com.
* Flying Sams at UCI meeting: May 20, 5 p.m., BS III, 1200. Visit http://www.flyingsams.com.
* Golden Key International Honour Society meeting: May 19, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., HIB 110.
* Hermanas Unidas Inc. meeting : May 20, 7 p.m., HH 156.
* Language Exchange Program (LXP) presents Conversation Night - New Technologies: May 19, 6 p.m., SC, Woods Cove, A. Visit http://lxpgroup.blogspot.com.
* March of Dimes Collegiate Council at UCI meeting: May 20, 5 p.m., HH 108. Visit http://www.marchofdimes.com/california/viewAllOffices.asp.
* Muslim Student Union (MSU) presents Viva Palestina with George Galloway: May 21, 7:30 p.m., SC, Pacific Ballroom CD. Visit http://www.msu-uci.com.
* Pilipino Pre-Health Undergraduate Student Organization (PUSO)
meeting: May 19, 5 to 6 p.m., CCC, Ring Room. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.pusoonline.org/.
* Public Health Association at UCI meeting: May 20, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., SSTR 101. Visit http://pha.zotters.org.
* Real Food Challenge at UCI meeting: May 20, 6 to 7 p.m., SSL 171. Visit http://ucirealfoodchallenge.weebly.com.
* Social Ecology Student Association (SESA) hosts a Pizza Fundraiser Night: May 20, 5 p.m. Contact Katie Victoria at email@example.com for location and questions. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/sesa/.
* Students for L.I.F.E. (Life Is For Everyone) meeting: May 19, 7 to 8 p.m., SSL 168. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=6015801&ref=name#/group.php?gid=2203770591.
* Students for Sustainability meeting: May 18, 5 to 6 p.m., HH 156. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/s4s/.
* The Green Campus Program meeting: May 20, 6 p.m., SSL 290.
* True Jesus Church Irvine Campus Fellowship (TJCICF) Bible Study: May 19, 7:45 to 9:05 p.m., SC, Balboa Island B. Visit http://icf.ikimashuuu.net/.
* Tzu Chi Collegiate Association meeting: May 18, 5:30 p.m., SC, Crescent Bay A. Visit http://www.us.tzuchi.org
* Universities Allied for Essential Medicines meeting: May 19, 5 p.m., SC, Crescent Bay Room B. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/uaem/.
* Women and Youth Supporting Each Other (WYSE) is now accepting applications for mentor positions. Email email@example.com.
* Women's Law Association meeting: May 19, 5 to 5:50 p.m., SSL 171. Visit http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2205056811&ref=ts.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, log on to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.