Anteater Weekly - Week 4
April 20, 2009
* Help to continue a time-honored tradition. By making a
financial contribution to the 2009 Senior Class Giving Campaign, you will ensure that today's graduates and future Anteaters can continue to work together in support of their alma mater. Give any amount to any area on campus. For more information visit
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* Got summer plans? Climb the Great Wall of China!
- UCI is pleased to announce the 9th annual Legends of China program The Silk Road to the Future, 2009. This summer's mini-summit theme is: World Health & Green Business Opportunities.
- Visit http://www.legendsofchina.com. Open to all interested UCI students, faculty, staff, alumni, and their families.
- COST: $1,568.00 (includes airfare, hotel room, food, transportation and program package).
- Drop by the Cross-Cultural Center and talk to Floyd Lai or Kevin Huie to learn more about this opportunity, or attend the following info session at the Cross-Cultural Center, Ring Room: April 29, 12 to 1 p.m.
- Deadline for registration: May 15.
* TWLOHA returns to UCI, including the founder Jamie Tworkowski and special musical performance by Zach Williams: April 21, 7:30 p.m., Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium.
- TWLOHA is a non-profit movement to encourage hope and community and great music. Admission is free. TWLOHA T-shirts available for purchase. Visit http://www.health.uci.edu/ or http://www.twloha.com/.
* Difficult Dialogues presents "Jews, Arabs and Government Officials: Power Relations Inside Israel Today" with David Wesley, speaker: April 21, 2 to 4 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center, Ring Mall Room.
* Department of English presents a Composition Department Art Contest: April 20, 12 p.m., HIB 420. Design the cover for the newest edition of The Anteater's Guide to Writing and Rhetoric (formerly A Student Guide to Writing at UC Irvine) and win $300. Deadline to enter is May 15. Open to all UCI students. Visit http://eee.uci.edu/programs/comp/AGWR.
* African American Studies Program Lecture Series 2009: April 22, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., HIB 135. Part 1: New Research Directions. Visit http://www.humanities.uci.edu/afam/user_files/Brown%20Bag.pdf.
* CARE, UCI Gender Education Series, and Office of the UCI Clinical Social Worker present UCI's 12th annual Take Back the Night: April 22, 7 p.m., Flag Poles.
- A keynote address from the Community Service Programs (CSP), Inc.'s Dawn Foor will be followed by a candlelight vigil and march to raise awareness about sexual violence and to honor survivors. Participants will enjoy musical performances, visual displays, interactive experiences and a raffle. The evening concludes with a Speak-Out where survivors tell their stories of survival and recovery.
ARTS & CULTURAL EVENTS
* Orange County Performing Arts Center offers student rush tickets for all performances of the Broadway-hopeful musical, The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown: April 21 to May 3. Students can purchase tickets by calling (714) 556-2787, and at the Center's box office for $15 with a limit of 2 tickets per student ID. Group discounts of 15 or more, call (714) 556-0236. The Orange County Performing Arts Center is located at 600 Town Center Drive in Costa Mesa. For more info visit http://www.ocpac.org.
* University Art Gallery/Room Gallery presents 86 Everybody! MFA Thesis Exhibition I.
- The first installment of the UCI MFA thesis show. 86 Everybody! includes Arielle Bivas, Kate Hers, Dong Hoon Jun, Morgan Wells, and Jared Nielsen whose work intersects disciplines, bringing together photography, video, sculpture, drawing, and painting.
- April 23 to May 8. Opening reception: April 23, 6 to 9 p.m. Hours: Tuesday to Saturday: 12 to 5 p.m. Location: The University Art Gallery
712 Arts Plaza, Room Gallery, ACT 1200. Call 824-9854. Email email@example.com. Visit http://www.mfa2009.org.
ATHLETIC & RECREATION EVENTS
* Campus Recreation hosts Cooking Classes at the ARC: April 23, 6 to 8 p.m., ARC. Our next class is all about vegetarian style cooking. Visit http://www.campusrec.uci.edu.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Career Center Workshops in Career Center Training Room.
- April 20
- 11 a.m.: The Resume Writing Workshop
- 1 p.m.: Technical Resume Writing
- 3 p.m.: Interview Techniques
- April 21
- 11 a.m.: Dress for Success
- 1 p.m.: Interview Techniques
- 3 p.m.: Last Minute Tips for the Career Fair
- April 22
- 12 p.m.: The Resume Writing Workshop
- 2 p.m.: Technical Interviewing
- April 23
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Student Center: Spring Career Fair
- April 24
- 1 to 2:30 p.m.: Networking for Those Who Hate Networking
- April 21-22, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Resume Critiques
- Visit http://www.career.uci.edu.
* Peer Educators presents Friends Helping Friends. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Living Together Workshop: April 21, 7 to 8 p.m., Student Center, Crescent Bay C & D.
- Test Anxiety & Study Skills Workshop: April 22, 7 to 8 p.m., Student Center, Crescent Bay C & D.
* Counseling Center Group meetings in Student Services I, 203.
Interested students please call the front desk at 824-6457. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu/.
- PSYCHOTHERAPY GROUPS:
- Making Peace With My Body, Mondays, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- LGBT Graduate Students Group, Tuesdays, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
- Graduate Women's Therapy Group, Wednesdays, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- The Family Group, Thursdays, 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- Personal Growth Group, TBD.
- STRUCTURED/PSYCHOEDUCATIONAL GROUPS:
- FOCUS, Thursdays, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- Anxiety and Stress Management Group, Mondays, 1:30 to 3 p.m.
- Anxiety and Stress Management Group, Thursdays, 2:30 to 4 p.m.
- SUPPORT GROUPS:
- International Coffee Hour, Mondays, 11 a.m. to 12:30 pm.
- "What's Going On?," Rotating Mondays, 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Women of Color, Tuesdays, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- Estamos Unidas, Tuesdays, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- LGBT Discussion Group, Thursdays, 12 to 1 p.m.
- Dissertation Support Group, Fridays, 10 to 11 a.m.
- CO-SPONSORED GROUPS:
- Sexual Assault and Intimate Partner Violence Group, Mondays, 3:30 to 5 p.m. This group is sponsored by Campus Assault Resources and Education (CARE). Contact Mandy Mount, Ph.D. at 824-7273 for additional information.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* A.B.C (Anteater Book Club) meeting: April 22, 5:30 p.m., HH 210. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://abcanteaterbookclub.blogspot.com/.
* American Indian Student Association (AISA) presents a Native American POWWOW: May 30, 8 a.m., Mesa Court Field. Visit
http://clubs.uci.edu/aisa/powwow.php and http://www.airp.uci.edu/index.php.
* Anteaters for Recycling and Conservation (ARC) meeting: April 21, 5 to 6 p.m., SSL 122. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/recycle/index.html.
* Anteaters' Habitat for Humanity meeting: April 21, 6:30 p.m., HH 118.
* CFC Youth at UCI meeting: April 22, 7 to 9 p.m., ET 202. Visit http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=2200498096&ref=ts.
* Cal Teach Club hosts a Teacher Panel: April 21, 7 to 8 p.m., BP, 1121.
* Chinese Association (CAUCI) presents a Downtown Disney meeting: April 23, 7 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.cauci.com.
* Circle K International at UCI meeting: April 21, 6:15 p.m., PSCB 140. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* Colleges Against Cancer events.
- Survivorship Luncheon: April 21, 12 to 1 p.m., CCC, Ring Room. Visit http://www.cancer.org and http://www.cancer.org/scholar.
- Relay For Life: Team Captain Meeting: April 23, 6:30 p.m., SSL 140. Register your team or join a team at http://www.relayforlife.org/ucirvineca.
* Flying Sams at UCI meeting: April 22, 5 p.m., Bio Sci III, 1200. Visit http://www.flyingsams.com.
* Golden Key International Honour Society meeting: April 21, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., HIB 110.
* International Club meeting: April 22, 5 p.m., HH 118. Visit http://international.zotters.org.
* Language Exchange Program (LXP) presents Conversation Night - Going Green: April 21, 6 p.m., SC, Woods Cove A. Visit http://lxpgroup.blogspot.com.
* Latino Business Student Association meeting : April 23, 5 to 6 p.m., SSPA 1170. Visit http://www.lbsauci.com.
* March of Dimes Collegiate Council at UCI meeting: April 22, 5 p.m., HH 108. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/marchofdimes.
* Muslim Student Union (MSU) presents Friday Congregation: April 24, 1 to 1:50 p.m., Interfaith Building. Visit http://www.msu-uci.com.
* Na Opio O Kaaina (Hawaii Club) meeting: April 22, 6:30 p.m., CCC, Ring Room. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/nook/.
* Physician Assistants Coming Together (PACT) meeting: April 20, 5 to 6 p.m., SH 128.
* Pilipino Pre-Health Undergraduate Student Organization (PUSO) meeting: April 21, 5 to 6 p.m., CCC, Ring Room. Email email@example.com. Visit http://www.pusoonline.org/.
* Social Ecology Student Association (SESA) presents a Grad School Admissions & Test Strategy Session Workshop: April 22, 6 to 7 p.m., SE II, 112. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/sesa/index.htm.
* Society of Pre-Veterinary Students presents guest speaker, Dr. Amy Treadwell, an animal opthalmologist: April 21, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., SSL 162. Visit http://www.freewebs.com/spvs/index.htm.
* Students for L.I.F.E. (Life Is For Everyone) meeting: April 21, 7 to 8 p.m., SSL 168. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=6015801&ref=name#/group.php?gid=2203770591.
* Students for Sustainability meeting: April 20, 5 to 6 p.m., HH 156. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/s4s/.
* The Green Campus Program meeting: April 22, 6 p.m., SSL 290.
* Universities Allied for Essential Medicines meeting: April 21, 5 p.m., SC, Crescent Bay Room B. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/uaem/.
* Vietnamese American Coalition at UC Irvine (VAC) meeting: April 21, 6 p.m., SSL 129. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/vac/.
* Women and Youth Supporting Each Other (WYSE) recruitment: April 20, 12 p.m. Email email@example.com.
* Women's Law Association meeting: April 21, 5 to 5:50 p.m., SSL 171. Visit http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2205056811&ref=ts.
* Young Democrats at UCI meeting: April 23, 5 p.m., HH 226. Visit http://youngdems.zotters.org.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, log on to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.