||Anteater Weekly - Week 3
October 15, 2007
* Registrar Week 3 Notice:
October 17, is the last day to submit approved petition for part-time study to Graduate Division.
October 19, is the last day to submit approved petition for part-time study to the Registrar.
* Coming soon: October 24, 25, & 26: Student Center Grand Opening Celebration!
You are invited to join us for the grand opening
festivities featuring three days of fun, food, prizes, and live performances.
October 24: Peter's Parade golf cart spectacular and opening
ceremonies kick off the events. Deadline for parade entries is October 15, 5 p.m.
October 25: Spirit Day with more fun, free food, music, comedy, contests, and games.
October 26: Scavenger Hunt will wrap up at ASUCI's Shocktoberfest.
For more details, visit http://www.studentcenter.uci.edu.
See you there!
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* Health Education Center presents the UCI Health Resources Fairs. Activities: health assessments, information, gifts, and prizes. Visit http://www.health.uci.edu/ or call 824-WELL.
- October 23, 3 to 6 p.m., Middle Earth Basketball Court
- November 1, 3 to 6 p.m., Mesa Court on the lawn.
* Campus Assault Resources & Education Sexual Assault Group: October 15, 3:30 to 5 p.m., Student Services I, 208. Discuss the impact of unwanted sexual experiences on academics, friendships, family relationships and dating; discuss pressures to make decisions; talk about feelings and connect with others; explore ways to cope and share daily challenges without judgement. Group meets weekly. Call to schedule an appointment to discuss joining the group. Openings are limited. Visit http://www.care.uci.edu.
* Gender Education Series and Health Education Center present Sexuality and Health with Amber Madison: October 16, 7 p.m., Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium. Amber Madison author of “Hooking Up: A Girl’s All Out Guide to Sex and Sexuality” will be discussing common myths about sex, sexuality, and relationships. Free.
* Center for Service in Action presents Have-A-Heart Volunteer Fair: October 17, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Ring Road, Anteater Plaza. Interested in volunteering in the local area? There will be community service groups and agencies interested in offering volunteer and internship positions within UCI and Orange County. Visit http://www.volunteer.uci.edu.
* Center for International Education events. Visit http://www.cie.uci.edu.
- GO ABROAD Fair: October 18, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Center, Ring Road. Meet reps from programs to study abroad, work abroad, volunteer abroad, and more. Enter the fair raffle for a chance to win a $500 Study Abroad voucher.
- Study Abroad Japan Information Session: October 18, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services II, 1010 AB.
- EAP Deadline: October 19, 4 p.m., Student Services II, 1100. Application deadline for Germany: Goettingen, Spring 2008; Germany: Potsdam, Spring 2008; Japan: Tohoku Engineering, Spring 2008.
* Health Education presents Victoria Maxwell: Crazy for Life: October 18, 7 to 8 p.m., Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium. Come see Victoria Maxwell, award-winning actress and playwright, presents her one-woman show, "Crazy for Life." Co-sponsored by Health Education, Counseling Center, Student Health, in conjunction with Disabilities Awareness Week and Disability Services Center. Free. Visit http://www.health.uci.edu.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Counseling Center Group Meetings. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Adults Molested as Children - Let us help each other as we recover: October 17, 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- Asian American Women's Group - Focusing on Asian American women's issues: October 16, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Estamos Unidas - A discussion group for Chicana/Latina students: October 16, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- First Generation College Student Group - 1st generation students explore personal & academic concerns: October 18, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Graduate Student Women's Group - Emphasis on the special needs and issues of graduate women: October 15, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Health, Peak Performance & Self-Hypnosis - For reducing anxiety and fostering optimal performance: October 16, 3 to 5 p.m.
- International Coffee Hour - Meet interesting students from all over the world: October 17, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
- LGBT Brown Bag Discussion - Discussion of many issues such as coming out and self-acceptance: October 18, 12 to 1 p.m.
- LGBT Graduate Student Group - Group will explore issues such as relationships, academic life, & career. TBD.
- Overcoming Writers' Block Group - Members will explore emotional barriers to writing: October 18, 9 to 11 a.m.
- Relationships Group - Focus will be on understanding how we can connect more positively with others: October 18, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- Students from Difficult Families - Members learn how to grow from exploring difficult family experiences: October 16, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Undergraduate Women's Group - Share and explore issues related to personal selves and relationships: October 18, 1:30 to 3 p.m.
"What's Going On?" - Issues important to the African American community: October 22, 5 to 6:30 p.m. (alternate Mondays beginning October 8).
* UCDC Internship Program Info Sessions. Live, learn, and intern in Washington DC. Deadline for Spring or Summer: October, 26, 2007. Visit http://www.dccenter.uci.edu or http://www.ucdc.uci.edu/.
- October 15, 5 to 6 p.m., Student Services I, 203.
- October 18, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services I, 203.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* Accounting Association presents Meet the Firms: October 17, 7 to 9 p.m., Bren Events Center. Bring your resume. Business attire recommended. Visit http://www.aauci.com.
* Alliance of Business Students (ABS) presents Mix at Six: October 16, 6 p.m., Student Center, Doheny Beach A. Refreshments & raffles. Free. Open to all. Visit http://www.absuci.com.
* Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society (AED) meeting: October 18, 6:30 p.m., Tamkin Hall, UCI School of Medicine. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/aed/.
* American Marketing Association presents a Workshop on Marketing Skills: October 17, 6 to 7 p.m., Social Science Lab, 228. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2203952361.
* American Red Cross, Chapter at UCI meeting: October 15, 5 to 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 262. Join us for our weekly meeting.
* American Student Dental Association (ASDA) presents Interested in taking the DAT's?: October 16, 6:30 p.m., Multipurpose Science and Technology Bldg., 124. Visit http://asdauci.org.
* Anteater's Habitat for Humanity meeting: October 15, 4 p.m., Social Science Tower, 220A. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/habitat/.
* Anteaters for Recycling and Conservation (ARC) meeting: October 17, 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 100. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/recycle/.
* Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) presents a company info session: October 17, 6:30 p.m., Information & Computer Science, 432. Free food. Visit http://www.acmuci.org.
* Atheists, Agnostics, and Rationalists at UCI (AAR) meeting: October 17, 5 to 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 105. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/aar.
* Buddhist Association at UCI meeting: October 17, 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 143.
* Buddhists for World Peace, SGI Club (Soka Gakkai International) presents Creating a Culture of Peace: October 18, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Social Science Lab, 105. An organization which promotes peace, culture, and education based on the Buddhist principle of respecting the dignity of life. Open to all.
* Cal Animage Epsilon meeting: October 18, 7 p.m., Rowland Hall, 104. Meetings open to non-members. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/cae.
* Chemistry Club meeting: October 18, 6:30 p.m., Natural Sciences 2, 1201. Information about events and activities that may take place this year, and a possibility of a guest speaker. Reminder this will be the last chance to turn in membership applications and fees.
* Chinese Association at UCI (CAUCI) meeting and Moon Festival Bonfire: October 18, 7 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Visit http://cauci.com.
* Circle K International meeting: October 16, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Steinhaus Hall, 174. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* Green Campus meeting: October 17, 6 to 7 p.m., Social Ecology II, 1304. We focus on saving energy on campus to be more environmentally friendly. We host events such as CFL Exchanges, the fume hood campaign, and the Green Room, plus get some freebies.
* History Undergraduate Student Association (HUSA) meeting: October 15, 12 to 1 p.m., Student Center, Crescent Bay A. Come join the history club to discuss our upcoming events and learn how we can enrich your academic experience.
* Intervarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) presents Praxis: October 18, 7:30 p.m., Humanities Instructional Bldg., 110. Visit http://www.ivcfuci.org.
* Latina/o Student Psychological Association presents a Graduate School Workshop: October 15, 6 p.m., Social Science Academic Resource Center (SST 318). Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/lspa.
* MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan) meeting: October 17, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Come to our weekly meetings and learn the many facets of "Chicanismo" and how you can get involved with your community.
* Mixed Student Organization After Event: October 17, 6:30 p.m., Student Center, Aliso Beach A. Meet at the flagpoles. Visit http://hapa.ciad.net/.
* National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) New Student Induction Ceremony: October 19, 7:30 to 8:15 p.m., Engineering Lecture Hall, 100. Learn more about this honor society and upcoming plans for the 2007-2008 academic year. Meet fellow members and officers. Food and refreshments after induction.
* Neuroscience Club at UCI meeting: October 15, 5 p.m., Social Science Plaza A, 1170. The Neuroscience Club of UCI meets every Monday to discuss the most current and exciting topics concerning our most important organ. Open to all.
* Open Jam meeting: October 15, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Howard Schneidermann Lecture Hall, 100A. All musicians and vocalists welcome. Bring your instrument. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215758557.
* Students for Peace and Justice events. Visit http://www.theoilfactor.com/.
- Meeting: October 16, 6 p.m., Student Center, Lido Isle B.
- "The Oil Factor" movie screening: October 17, 6 p.m., Humanities Instructional Bldg., 110.
* Students for Sustainability meeting: October 16, 5 to 6 p.m., in front of Phoenix Grille. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/issc/.
* Swing Dancing Club meeting: October 15, 7 to 9 p.m., Humanities Hall, 112. Open to all. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/swingclub/.
* Teachers of Tomorrow (TOT) meeting: October 16, 8 p.m., Berkley Place, 1121. If you need to earn hours for the Education minor, do not miss this meeting. Light refreshments. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/teachersoftomorrow/.
* The Objectivist Club at UCI presents Ayn Rand's Ideas-An Introduction: October 17, 7 to 9 p.m., Social Science Plaza A, 1100. Lecture/question & answer by Dr. Onkar Ghate. Visit http://theobjectivistclubatuci.blogspot.com/.
* Tomo No Kai meeting/bonfire after event: October 18, 6 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Rides provided. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/tomo/.
* U See Eyes (Pre-Optometry Club) presents Dr. Denial of New England College of Optometry: October 17, 5 to 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 251.
* Vietnamese American Coalition at UC Irvine (VAC) meeting and after event dinner: October 16, 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 254. Visit http://vacuci.com.
* Women in Information & Computer Sciences (WICS) presents an off-campus company tour: October 16, 11:30 a.m., meet at flagpoles. Visit http://www.uci.edu/~wics.
* World Health Organization of Students (WHOS) meeting: October 18, 5:30 p.m., Social Science Lab, 129. Open to all. Visit http://uciwhos.4t.com/.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, log on to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.