||Anteater Weekly - Week 2
October 8, 2007
* Registrar Week 2 Notice: Friday, October 12, 5 p.m., is the last day to add/drop/change a class without a service fee of $3.00 and the last day to change grade option or variable units without the signature of your dean. Check with your academic counseling office for any overriding school policies.
* Please be advised that the quarterly due date for fees has been revised. Effective with the Spring 2008 term, the campus has adopted a consistent fee deadline of the 15th of the month. Should the 15th fall on a weekend or holiday, the fee deadline will be the next working day.
Accordingly, the Spring 2008 fee deadline is Monday, March 17th. Previously the fee deadline has fallen on different dates each term. It is our hope that a consistent deadline will make it easier for you to monitor and observe this critical date.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.
Director, Financial Services
* All UC Irvine students now have free music and media. You now have unlimited access to over 3 million tracks, music videos and films, and our new Facebook application. No viruses. No spyware. 100% Legal. This is available through a partnership between UC Irvine and RUCKUS.
Sign up NOW - http://www.ruckus.com
Facebook App – http://apps.facebook.com/ruckusnetwork/
* Join the Grand Opening celebration of UC Irvine's new Student Center!
All registered campus organizations, housing units, fraternities, and sororities are invited to compete in Peter's Parade Cart Spectacular.
Each group will be issued a golf cart to decorate on the evening of October 23, and carts will be driven in a campuswide parade the following day, October 24.
Awards will be issued to the most spirited displays.
Entry registration must be completed and submitted to Office of the Dean of Students by October 15. There is no cost to enter. Information and entry forms can be found at
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* You are invited to the Grand Reopening of the new LGBT Resource Center: October 8, 4 p.m., the Center is located in the New Student Center on the 3rd floor #G302. Help us kick off "Coming Out" week events. Visit http://www.lgbtrc.uci.edu.
* ASUCI Fall Vendor Fair: October 8 through 12, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Ring Road from the Cross-Cultural Center to Langston Library. Shop and save on clothing, jewelry, artwork, and more.
* Health Education sponsors Alcoholics Anonymous meetings: Monday through Friday, 12 to 1 p.m., Student Center at the Health Education Room G319.
* ASUCI and Speech and Debate Team present a Parking Open Forum: October 10, 7 to 7:50 p.m., Humanities Hall, 178. Stacey Murren, UCI Director of Transportation Services, will field all your questions and provide an update on the latest parking information.
* University Archives & Graduate Division present a Thesis/Dissertation Preparation Information Session: October 8, 12 to 1 p.m., Langson Library, 570.
If you are a graduate student who is close to filing your thesis/dissertation paperwork, you are encouraged to attend our quarterly workshops. An overhead presentation on how to file your thesis/dissertation, the sequence order of your manuscript, the paperwork required, and other important information to help facilitate this aspect of your graduate career.
Final submission deadline for a fall degree is December 7, 2007.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Counseling Center Group Meetings. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Adults Molested as Children - Let us help each other as we recover: October 10, 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- Asian American Women's Group - Focusing on Asian American women's issues: October 9, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Estamos Unidas - A discussion group for Chicana/Latina students: October 16, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- First Generation College Student Group - 1st generation students explore personal & academic concerns: October 11, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Graduate Student Women's Group - Emphasis on the special needs and issues of graduate women: October 8, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Health, Peak Performance & Self-Hypnosis - For reducing anxiety and fostering optimal performance: October 9, 3 to 5 p.m.
- International Coffee Hour - Meet interesting students from all over the world: October 10, 1 to 2:30 p.m.
- LGBT Brown Bag Discussion - Discussion of many issues such as coming out and self-acceptance: October 18, 12 to 1 p.m.
- LGBT Graduate Student Group - Group will explore issues such as relationships, academic life, & career. TBD
- Overcoming Writers' Block Group - Members will explore emotional barriers to writing: October 11, 9 to 11 a.m.
- Relationships Group - Focus will be on understanding how we can connect more positively with others: October 11, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- Students from Difficult Families - Members learn how to grow from exploring difficult family experiences: October 9, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Undergraduate Women's Group - Share and explore issues related to personal selves and relationships: October 11, 1:30 to 3 p.m.
"What's Going On?" - Issues important to the African American community: October 8, 5 to 6:30 p.m. (alternate Mondays beginning October 8).
* Office of the Dean of Students presents Passport to Leadership Workshop: Innovative Event Programming: October 8, 1 to 2 p.m., Student Center, Emerald Bay C. Learn how to plan and market a successful campuswide event. This session will also include information on how to choose and/or book a location for the event and precautions that should be taken when planning a campuswide event. Visit http://www.dos.uci.edu/passport.
* Campus Assault Resources & Education - Sexual Assault Group: October 8, 3:30 to 5 p.m., Student Services I, 208. CARE's popular sexual assault group is for students who wish to discuss the impact of unwanted sexual experiences on academics, friendships, family relationships, and dating. Group meets weekly. Call to schedule an appointment to discuss joining the group. Openings are limited. Visit http://www.care.uci.edu.
* Campus Writing Coordinator presents free Peer Tutoring in Writing and Library Research: Monday through Thursday, 6 to 9 p.m. For locations and additional information visit http://www.writing.uci.edu/peertutors.html.
* UCDC Internship Program Info Session:
October 9, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services I, 203.
October 10 & 11, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services II, 1010AB.
Live, learn, and intern in Washington DC. Deadline for Spring or Summer: October, 26, 2007. Visit http://www.dccenter.uci.edu or http://www.ucdc.uci.edu/.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society (AED) meeting: October 11, 6:30 p.m., Tamkin Hall, School of Medicine. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/aed/.
* American Advertising Federation at UCI presents "The Premiere": October 10, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Social Science Tower, 120. Refreshments. Win movie tickets. Visit http://www.aafuci.com.
* American Indian Student Association (AISA) meeting: October 9, 7 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Meetings every Tuesday at 7 p.m. Open to all. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or http://www.clubs.uci.edu/aisa.
* American Red Cross, Chapter at UCI meeting: October 8, 5 p.m., Humanities Hall, 262. Visit http://redcrossuci.org/.
* Amnesty International meeting: October 10, 5 p.m., Student Center, Crescent Bay B, A124.
* Anteater Book Club (A.B.C) meeting: October 11, 4 p.m., Humanities Hall, 112. Meetings every Thursday. Bring a copy of The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
* Asian Baptist Student Koinonia (ABSK) Friday Night Bible Study: October 12, 7 p.m., Student Center, Crescent Bay A. Visit http://www.absk.org/uci.
* Buddhist Association at UCI meeting: October 10, 6 to 7 p.m., Humanities Hall, 143. Bring questions about Buddhism to the table and learn how to meditate.
* Cal Animage Epsilon meeting: October 11, 7 p.m., Rowland Hall, 104. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/cae.
* Circle K International meeting: October 9, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Steinhaus Hall, 174. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* College Republicans meeting: October 10, 5 p.m., Social Science Trailer, 101. Welcome all freshmen, transfers, and returning students to our weekly meetings. Join us for dinner after meetings.
* Dancesport Team, UC Irvine Tryouts: October 10, 8 to 9 p.m., in front of the Bren Events Center. No prior experience or partners required to learn chacha, rumba, waltz, tango, and more. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/dancesport/.
* Flying Sams meeting: October 10, 5 p.m., Physical Sciences Classroom Bldg., 120. Visit http://www.flyingsams.com.
* Go Club meeting: October 9, 6 to 8 p.m., Humanities Hall, 100. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/go/.
* Golden Key International Honour Society meeting: October 10, 5:30 p.m., Student Center, Balboa Island, B. Snacks provided. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2200628767.
* Hat Cai presents Hat Cai Orientation - A Vietnamese Catholic Prayer and Support Group: October 8, 6:30 p.m., Interfaith Bldg., 319 (UCI map). Visit http://www.hatcai.com.
* Hermanas Unidas meeting: October 10, 7 p.m., Humanities Hall, 118. Come out to our second general meeting and be a part of our founding chapter here at UCI.
* Hip Hop Congress meeting: October 10, 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 220.
* InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) meeting/Praxis: October 11, 7 p.m., Humanities Instructional Bldg., 110. Visit http://www.ivcfuci.org/index.html.
* Irvine Queers (IQ) masQUEERade, a safe space for the LGBT and ally community to meet new people while dancing the night away: October 12, 8 to 11 p.m., Berry Terrace, Bren Events Center. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/irvineq.
* Latin & Ballroom Dance Association Auditions: October 10, 8 to 9 p.m., in front of the Bren Events Center. No prior experience or partners required. Email email@example.com. Visit http://latinballroom.org.
* MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan) Annual Open House: October 10, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Learn about what MEChA de UCI has to offer and how you can become involved. Speakers, entertainment, and light food/refreshments provided.
* March of Dimes meeting: October 11, 6:30 p.m., Social Science Tower, 238.
* Mixed Student Organization Marrow Donor Info Night: October 11, 7 p.m., Student Center, Aliso Beach, A. Visit http://hapa.ciad.net/.
* Muslim Student Union (MSU) Free Iftar: October 8 through 11, 6:15 to 8:15 p.m., outside Phoenix Grille. Come break fast with your new brothers and sisters at UCI during Ramadan for free.
* Open Jam meeting: October 8, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Howard Scheidermann Lecture Hall, 100A. All musicians and vocalists welcome. Bring your instrument. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215758557.
* Psychology Student Association meeting: October 8, 6 to 7 p.m., Social Science Tower, 238. Get to know other students interested in psychology and make connections with other psychology majors.
* Public Health Association at UCI meeting: October 10, 5:30 p.m., Social Science Lab, 270. Open to all. Meetings on Wednesdays of even weeks. Visit http://pha.zotters.org.
* Students for Peace and Justice meeting: October 9, 6 p.m., Student Center, Lido Aisle B. Discussion of current events and the war in Iraq.
* Students for Sustainability meeting: October 9, 5 to 6 p.m., in front of Phoenix Grille. Campaigns: Focus the Nation, Climate Challenge, Food Sustainability, Toxic-Waste, etc. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/issc/.
* UNICEF at UCI meeting: October 10, 5 p.m., Humanities Hall, 156. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/unicef.
* Uniting Voices meeting: October 9, 7 to 9 p.m., Social Science Lab, 290. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2422947086.
* Vietnamese American Coalition at UC Irvine (VAC) meeting: October 9, 6 p.m., Humanities Hall, 254. Afterevent: Car Rally/Scavenger Hunt. Visit http://vacuci.com.
* Women and Youth Supporting Each Other (WYSE) seeks mentors to underprivileged and "at risk" middle schools girls. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.wyse.org.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, log on to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.