||Anteater Weekly - Week 5
April 30, 2007
* LAST CHANCE: Legends of China has extended the deadline for student travelers to May 1 with no penalties. For those still undecided, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com as to when you would like to come by to get campus coordinator
signatures. Remember to bring a photo ID copy (student, driver's license, or passport) as well as the UC waiver form.
- May 1: FULL payment for students
(If paying by credit card, $150 must be in the form of check or money order; otherwise you may pay the full amount with a check.)
- If you are a non-student traveler or would like to invite family and friends there are still limited spots available (a $65 late-fee will apply).
For forms or additional information visit http://www.ccc.uci.edu/programs/loc.
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* UCI Bookstore Author Event: May 3, 5 p.m., UCI Bookstore. Featuring Oakley Hall, former director of the writing program at UCI, will read his latest novel titled from LOVE AND WAR IN CALIFORNIA. Light refreshments. Visit http://www.book.uci.edu.
* Middle East Studies Student Initiative, Difficult Dialogues, Center for Citizen Peacebuilding, and International Studies present HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS EL HASSAN BIN TALAL: Prince of Jordan: May 4, 6 to 8 p.m., SSPA, 1100. "The New Middle East: Conversation Not Confrontation."
ARTS & CULTURAL EVENTS
* Claire Trevor School of the Arts events. Visit http://www.arts.uci.edu. Call UCIArts Box Office at 824-2787. Hours: 12 - 4 p.m. weekdays.
- Gassmann Electronic Music Series Music for Computerized Piano: May 2, 8 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. Free.
- Symphony Orchestra presents Neighboring Tones: May 4-5, 8 p.m. Pre-concert conversation: May 4, 7 p.m., Irvine Barclay Theatre. $12/10/8.
- Department of Dance presents Physical Graffiti: May 10-12, 8 p.m. Matinee: May 12, 2 p.m., Claire Trevor Theatre. $11/10/9.
- UCI Chamber Series presents Back-to-Back Beethoven
Selected Cello Sonatas Maggie Parkins, violoncello
Lorna Griffitt, piano: May 11, 8 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. $12/10/8.
- UCI Chamber Series Back-to-Back Beethoven. Selected Violin Sonatas Haroutune Bedelian, violin Lorna Griffitt, piano:
May 12, 8 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. $12/10/8.
- Drama Workshop presents Blue Shade: May 15-19, 8 p.m.,
Little Theatre. $5.
- Jazz Orchestra presents A Spring Concert: May 16, 8 p.m.,
Claire Trevor Theatre. $12/10/8.
- Department of Student Affairs presents MFA 3 Thesis, Part II: May 17–Friday, June 1. Closed on Sundays and Mondays
University Art Gallery (UAG) Bldg. 712 and Room (R) Bldg. 727, Room 1200. Free.
- Department of Music presents Music Showcase Concert:
May 17, 12 - 1 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. Free.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Counseling Center meetings held in SSI, 201. Call 824-6457. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Graduate Student Women's Group: April 30, 1 - 3 p.m. An interactive, process-oriented group addressing personal concerns facing graduate women.
- “What’s Going On?”: On alternate Mondays, starting April 9, 5 - 6:30 p.m. A support group for African American and other students interested in discussing issues that are of importance to the African American community.
- Overcoming Writers' Block Group: May 1, 10 - 11:30 a.m. For graduate students, members will explore emotional barriers to writing.
- International Coffee Hour: May 2, 12 - 2 p.m. Come and meet interesting students from all over the world. Relax and enjoy lively conversations and refreshments.
- Asian American Women's Group: May 2, 2 - 3:30 p.m. A support group focusing on Asian American Women's issues.
- LGBT Group: May 2, 5 to 6:30 p.m. In a small comfortable group, members will discuss such issues as coming out, dating, self-acceptance, societal negativity, and the intersection of culture and sexual orientation.
- General Psychotherapy Group: May 3, 2 - 3:30 p.m. This small group explores problem areas such as relationships, family, academic stress, loneliness, depression, and anxiety.
- Depression Group: May 3, 3:30 – 5 p.m. A group for students dealing with feelings of depression and sadness. Learn specific techniques and gain support from others.
- Estamos Unidos: May 3, 3:30 - 5 p.m. A discussion group for Chicano/Latino students that addresses concerns in a university environment.
* Creating Options And Conquering Hurdles (COACH) is a motivational program that provides UCI students with the opportunity to achieve personal goals and obtain the maximum benefits from their educational experience. Free services. To request a COACH at the UCI Counseling Center call 824-6457 or the Division of Undergraduate Education call 824-6987.
* Counseling Center Peer Educators presents Friends Helping Friends. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu/outreach/peer.aspx.
- May 1, 7 to 8 p.m., Counseling Center, 203. The "Test Anxiety and Study Strategies" workshop will help you discover ways to reduce your anxiety and to better prepare for your exams.
- May 2, 7 to 8 p.m., Counseling Center, 203. The "Time Management and Goal Setting" workshop will help you learn how to effectively manage your time.
* University Extension presents Teaching English Abroad Webinar: May 2, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Online - register at http://www.extension.uci.edu/events. Individuals interested in traveling and working abroad or teaching English as a foreign language are encouraged to participate. Visit http://extension.uci.edu/teachabroad.
* UCI CARE and Right to KNOW - Applications due May 9. Don't miss the opportunity to be a leader and make lifelong friends in the Right to KNOW Peer Educator program. Download at http://www.chs.uci.edu/CARE/Right_to_KNOW.html
* Optical Society of America & Department of Chemistry present "Art in Science" contest: May 3, 4 p.m., 1201 Natural Sciences II. Open to all UCI students, postdoctoral researchers, and faculty in all disciplines to present their work in an elegant form of art. GUIDELINES OF SUBMISSION: Visit http://osa.ps.uci.edu/News&Events.html.
DEADLINE: April 30, 5 p.m.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society (AED) hosts guest speaker, Dr. Tayani: May 3, 6:30 p.m., Tamkin Hall.
* Anteaters for Recycling and Conservation (ARC) meeting: May 2, 7 p.m., SSL 159. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/recycle/.
* Asian Baptist Student Koinonia (ABSK) presents Friday Night Bible Study: May 4, 7 p.m., HIB 110. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/absk.
* Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) event: May 2, 12 to 1 p.m., CS 432. Free pizza. Meet IT representatives and find out about summer internships in Business and Computer Science.
* Association of University Meditators (AUM) meeting: May 1, 5 to 6:30 p.m., ELH 100. Visit http://www.aumuci.org/.
* Buddhist Association at UCI events. Visit http://www.socalbuddhist.com.
- Meeting: May 3, 6 p.m., SSL 206.
- Vesak Day 2007: May 5, 2:30 p.m., CCC. Open to all.
* Buddhists for World Peace presents Leading A Winning Life Through Human Revolution: April 30, 5 to 6 p.m., SSPA 1165. Open to all.
* Chicanos/ Latinos for Community Medicine (CCM) meeting: May 1, 6 to 7 p.m., CCC.
* Chinese Association presents Casino Night with VSA and Spiderman 3: May 3, 7 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.cauci.com.
* Chinese Christian Fellowship (CCF) presents Bible Study by Daniel Tseng and Jonathan Chow: May 3, 7:30 p.m., HH 231. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/ccf.
* Circle K International meeting: May 1, 6 to 7:30 p.m., HH 178. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* College Republicans meeting: May 2, 5 p.m., SSTR 101. Visit http://www.irvine.collegegop.org.
* Filipinos Unifying Student-Engineers In an Organized Network (FUSION) hosts Game Theory: May 2, 7 p.m., CS 219. 2007-2008 Board election results. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/FUSION.
* Hapa M.I.X. presents Study Break: May 3, 7 p.m., HH 112. Visit http://hapa.ciad.net/.
* Latter-Day Saint Student Association presents Institute: April 30, 12 p.m., Interfaith Center. Bible & religion classes: every Monday & Wednesday, 12 & 2 p.m. Bring your scriptures and a friend. Visit http://lds.org/institutes/home/0,8473,768-1-36-60068,00.html.
* MEChA de UCI, ASUCI, & Mes de la Raza events. Visit http://myspace.com/mesdelarazauci.
- Womyn Image Makers: May 2, 5:30 to 7 p.m., SE II, 1304. Guest speakers from the Queer Xicana group Womyn Image Makers present short films that empower the Chicana/o community.
- Cinco de Mayo: May 3, 12 to 2 p.m., Administration Flagpoles. Live entertainment and guest speaker Mixpe Ley. Free food and refreshments.
* Open Jam session: April 30, 5 to 6:30 p.m., SSLH 100. Open to all musicians and singers. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215758557.
* Student Organization for Mental Health Awareness (SOMA) presents a Mental Health meeting: May 2, 5 to 5:50 p.m., SSL 117. Visit http://www.freewebs.com/ucisoma.
* Students for Peace and Justice events.
- Meeting: May 1, 5 to 6 p.m., SSL 119. Discussion of current events and the war in Iraq.
- Students for Peace and Justice, Socialist Organizer, The Worker-Student Alliance, Muslim Student Union (MSU) present International Worker's Day: May 1, 12 p.m., Administration Flagpoles. Come out and celebrate International Worker's Day or May Day. Speak out at the flagpoles and join us in Aldrich park as well as 2 p.m. for the May Day Festival and food.
* Swing Dancing Club meeting: April 30, 7 to 9 p.m., HICF 100A. Open to all. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/swingclub/.
* Tomo No Kai (Tomo) meeting and potluck afterevent: May 3, 6 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/tomo.
* True Jesus Church Irvine Campus Fellowship presents Bible Study and Fellowship: April 30, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., SSTR 100. Visit http://www.mseedlabs.org/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.HomePage.
* Uniting Voices meeting: May 1, 7 to 9 p.m., SSLH 100 and May 2, 7 to 9 p.m., MM 116. If you love music, love to sing and perform, Uniting Voices is for you. Spring Quarter theme is Disney, join us this quarter in our final performance. No previous experience required.
* Vietnamese American Coalition (VAC) at UCI events. Note: You must attend one training session to be a facilitator for Shadow Day. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/vac/.
- Black April Commemoration: April 30, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., SSPA 1100. Guest speaker Quang X. Pham, author of "A Sense of Duty: My Father, My American Dream." Food and refreshments.
- Shadow Day Training and after event: May 1, 6 to 7 p.m., ICS 209. Training sessions: May 2-3, 6 p.m., HH 231.
- Shadow Day Training: May 5, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., meet at Flagpoles.
* World Health Organization of Students (WHOS) meeting: May 3, 5 p.m., HICF 100Q. Visit http://uciwhos.4t.com.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, log on to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.