||Anteater Weekly - Week 4
April 23, 2007
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* Paul Merage School of Business presents Distinguished Speaker Series: April 24, 6 p.m., Beckman Center. James O'Sullivan, President and CEO, Mazda North America Operations will speak. Free to Merage students with prior registration. Dress is business attire. Open to the public for a fee. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://catalyst.gsm.uci.edu/calendar/calendar.cat?push=view_ev&ev_id=5330.
* UCI Campus Assault Resources and Education (CARE) and California Coalition Against Sexual Assault present Denim Day. Part of an international protest of an Italian Supreme Court decision to overturn a rape conviction because the victim was wearing jeans. Please join us in the effort to dispel harmful attitudes about rape by wearing denim on April 25, wearing the "Why Denim?" button available through CARE, and speaking out about harmful myths that exist about sexual assault. Visit http://www.chs.uci.edu/CARE.
* ATTENTION SINGERS: Audition to be the National Anthem singer at one of the Commencement Ceremonies. Audition on April 25, 4 to 6 p.m., 107 Aldrich Hall (Administration Building). The National Anthem will be sung a capella in the traditional style. Call 824-5588. Visit http://www.commencement.uci.edu.
* UCI Bookstore presents an Author Event: April 26, 5 p.m., UCI Bookstore. Celebrate the release of the Spring 2007 issue of the Santa Monica Review, with editor Andrew Tonkovich, featuring writers Alisa Slaughter and Diane Lefer. Light refreshments. Visit http://www.book.uci.edu.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Join the UCI Yearbook Team. Apply now to be part of the creative and motivated students of the award-winning UCI Yearbook Anthology. Applications available in ASUCI and online. Paid internships and/or class
credit. Contact email@example.com. Visit
http://www.yearbook.uci.edu, call Aleks Gajewski, Editor-in-Chief, (661) 618-0743, or Advisor Alice Parsons, 824-5588.
* Creating Options And Conquering Hurdles (COACH) is a motivational program that provides UCI students with the opportunity to achieve personal goals and obtain the maximum benefits from their educational experience. Free services. To request a COACH at the UCI Counseling Center call 824-6457 or the Division of Undergraduate Education call 824-6987.
* Counseling Center meetings to be held in SSI, 201. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Graduate Student Women's Group: April 23, 1 - 3 p.m. An interactive, process-oriented group addressing personal concerns facing graduate women.
- Whats Going On?: On alternate Mondays, 5 - 6:30 p.m. A support group for African American and other students interested in discussing issues that are of importance to the African American community.
- Overcoming Writers' Block Group: April 24, 10 - 11:30 a.m. For graduate students, members will explore emotional barriers to writing.
- Anxiety and Stress Management: April 24, 3:30 - 5 p.m. A group for students dealing with anxiety and stress. Learn specific techniques and gain support from others.
- International Coffee Hour: April 25, 12 - 2 p.m. Come and meet interesting students from all over the world. Relax and enjoy lively conversations and refreshments.
- Asian American Women's Group: April 25, 2 - 3:30 p.m. A support group focusing on Asian American Women's issues.
- Living with Loss: A Grief and Loss Support Group: April 25, 4 5:30 p.m. A supportive group for those who have experienced the death of a loved one.
- LGBT Group: April 25, 5 to 6:30 p.m. In a small comfortable group, members will discuss such issues as coming out, dating, self-acceptance, societal negativity, and the intersection of culture and sexual orientation.
- General Psychotherapy Group: April 26, 2 - 3:30 p.m. This small group explores problem areas such as relationships, family, academic stress, loneliness, depression, and anxiety.
- Depression Group: April 26, 3:30 - 5 p.m. A group for students dealing with feelings of depression and sadness. Learn specific techniques and gain support from others.
- Estamos Unidos: April 26, 3:30 - 5 p.m. A discussion group for Chicano/Latino students that addresses concerns in a university environment.
* ASUCI Office of Academic Affairs presents UTeach Workshop: April 23, 2:30 p.m., HICF 100L. Have you ever wanted to teach your own class? Facilitate your own seminar (with the guidance of a faculty advisor) and earn units with ASUCI's UTeach Program. Visit http://www.asuci.uci.edu/uteach.
* Career Center Workshops in the Career Center unless otherwise noted. Visit http://www.career.uci.edu.
11:30 a.m.: How to Work a Career Fair for Grad Students
2 p.m.: Creating a Winning Resume
4 p.m.: Job Search Strategies: Finding the Ideal Job
11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Ring Road: Resume Critiques
12 p.m.: Money Management & Credit Basics
2 p.m.: OCI Orientation
4:30 to 6 p.m.: Networking Strategies in Practice
11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Ring Road: Resume Critiques
12 p.m.: How You Can be Successful at the Career Fair
10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Ring Road: Career Fair
12 p.m.: OCI Orientation
* UCI Counseling Center Peer Educators presents Friends Helping Friends. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu/outreach/peer.aspx.
- April 24, 7 to 8 p.m., Counseling Center, 203. "Intimate Relationships" an interactive workshop that will address topics from dating to maintaining a healthy relationship.
- April 25, 7 to 8 p.m., Counseling Center, 203. "Abusive Relationships" a workshop to develop a clearer understanding of what is an abusive relationship and what can you do to end it and move on.
* Looking for a leadership position? 2007-2008 Cross-Cultural Center Intern and R.E.A.C.H. applications are available. Deadline is April 26, 4 p.m. Download forms at http://www.ccc.uci.edu/forms and submit to Sherwynn Umali
at the Cross-Cultural Center.
Clubs & Organizations Outreach Interns (2 positions)
Community Programs Intern (1 position)
Web & Design Intern (1 position)
R.E.A.C.H. Peer Facilitator (20+ positions)
REACH Position Responsibilities (what we expect):
Attend weekly 3-hour class/training seminar.
Completion of group projects and class assignments.
Attend all mandatory training sessions.
Prepare and deliver workshops, panel presentations, interpretations (i.e. skits), and facilitate group discussions as requested by campus departments and organizations. Promote campus awareness and understanding of ethnic and cultural diversity issues; provide cross-cultural training and information.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* Alliance of Business Students (ABS) presents Business Entertainment: April 24, 5 to 7 p.m., Bren Events Center. Career opportunities. Food, giveaways, fun, and more. RSVP at http://www.absuci.com.
* Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society (AED) meeting: April 26, 6:30 p.m., Tamkin Hall. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/aed/.
* Anteaters for Recycling and Conservation (ARC) meeting: April 25, 7 p.m., SSL 159. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/recycle/.
* Asian Baptist Student Koinonia (ABSK) presents Friday Night Bible Study: April 27, 7 p.m., HIB 110. Visit http://www.absk.org/uci.
* Asian Pacific Student Association (APSA) meeting: April 25, 7:30 p.m., CCC. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/apsa.
* Association of University Meditators (AUM) meeting: April 24, 5 to 6:30 p.m., ELH 100. Visit http://www.aumuci.org/.
* Buddhists for World Peace presents "Leading A Winning Life Through Human Revolution": April 23, 5 to 6 p.m., SSPA 1165. Open to all. Please join us in our discussion.
* Chinese Association at UCI presents Capture the Flag: April 26, 7 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.cauci.com.
* Chinese Christian Fellowship (CCF) presents Wii Competition: April 26, 7:30 p.m. For location contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/ccf.
* Circle K International meeting: April 24, 6 to 7:30 p.m., HH 178. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* College Republicans meeting: April 25, 5 p.m., SSTR 101.
* Colleges Against Cancer presents Relay for Life: April 28, 12 p.m., Aldrich Park. Sign up your team or yourself at our website or to get more information, visit http://www.cancer.org or call 1-800-ACS-2345. Visit http://www.acsevents.org/relay/ca/uci.
* Filipinos Unifying Student-Engineers In an Organized Network (FUSION) meeting - Make a Movie/Talent Night: April 25, 7 p.m., CS 219. New board nominations. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/FUSION.
* Flying Sams meeting: April 25, 5 p.m., PSLH 100. Visit http://www.flyingsams.com.
* International Center presents American English in Action. Tutor international students for volunteer work. Stop by the at 3800 BP. Email AEIAction@gmail.com. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/fci.
* Irvine Student Sustainability Coalition (ISSC) meeting: April 24, 5 to 6:30 p.m., SSL 206. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/issc/.
* Latino Business Student Association meeting: April 26,
5 p.m., SSL 270. Visit http://www.lbsairvine.com.
* Muslim Student Union (MSU) presents Freshman/Sophomore Discussion: April 24, 6 to 7 p.m., SSTR 101. Visit http://www.msu-uci.com.
* Open Jam session: April 23, 5 to 6:30 p.m., SSLH 100. Open to all musicians and singers. Visit http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215758557.
* Student Organization for Mental Health Awareness (SOMA) and Association of University Meditators (AUM) present Meditation and Mental Health by Dr. Kathy Kawamura: April 24, 5 to 5:50 p.m., ELH 100. Visit http://www.freewebs.com/ucisoma.
* Swing Dancing Club meeting: April 23, 7 to 9 p.m., HICF 100A. Open to all. Email email@example.com if interested. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/swingclub/.
* Tomo No Kai (Tomo) meeting and Dollar Theater visit: April 26, 6 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/tomo.
* Undergraduate Business Association (UBA) presents an MBA Panel: April 25, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., SE II, 1304. Visit http://www.uciuba.com.
* Uniting Voices meeting: April 24, 7 to 9 p.m., SSLH 100 and April 25, 7 to 9 p.m., MM 116. If you love music, love to sing, and perform, Uniting Voices is for you. Spring Quarter theme is Disney, join us this quarter in our final performance. No experience required.
* Universities Allied for Essential Medicines presents Malaria Awareness Day: April 25, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., SH 134. Food. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/uaem/.
* Vietnamese American Coalition at UCI (VAC) meeting: April 24, 6 to 7 p.m., ICS 209. After event: dinner and Ice Blocking. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/vac/.
* Vietnamese American Coalition at UCI (VAC) presents Shadow Day Facilitator Training Sessions: April 23, 25 & 26, 6 to 7 p.m., HH 231. To be a Shadow Day facilitator, you must attend one training session. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/vac/.
* Women in Information and Computer Sciences (WICS) Alumni Potluck: April 26, 6:30 p.m., CS 432. Visit http://www.ics.uci.edu/~wics.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, log on to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.