||Anteater Weekly - Week 9
March 5, 2007
* ASUCI Spring Elections for 5 Executive Officers and 9 Legislative Council positions are now available at ASUCI or online at http://www.asuci.uci.edu/.
- Executive Officer positions set policy, work directly with the administration, and enhance UCI student quality of life through various programs and services. Legislative Council is responsible for management and oversight of a budget over $1 million. These leadership positions give student voice to how UCI is run, student life programming, and representing student opinions statewide.
- Applications are due no later than 12 p.m., March 16. Elections will take place Week 3 of Spring Quarter. For questions contact Elections Commissioner Nikhil Damle at email@example.com.
* UCI Computerstore/UCI Bookstore present the 3rd Annual Mad Film Dash Awards: March 6, 6 to 9 p.m., Crystal Cove Auditorium.
- From midnight on February 10 to midnight on February 11, over 400 UCI students and over 75 teams checked into the UCI Computerstore's 3rd Annual 24-Hour Mad Film Dash to make UCI film history. On March 6, 6 p.m., we will be showing what was produced.
- For questions call 824-4266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.computerstore.uci.edu.
* UCI Bookstore presents an Author Event: March 8, 5 p.m., UCI Bookstore. Featuring Alex Espinoza, MFA graduate, UCI. Alex will read from his first novel, Still Water Saints. Light refreshments. Visit http://www.book.uci.edu.
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, Paul Merage School of Business presents Students to Start-Ups: Internet Marketing Boot Camp - Part 1: March 6, 12 to 1 p.m., Calit2, 3008. Presenter: Mike Mata. Visit http://www.gsm.uci.edu/ResearchAnd Centers/CEI/CEIStudents2Startup.asp.
* Cross-Cultural Center presents Fair Trade Coffee Talk: March 7, 12 to 1:30 p.m., CCC. Learn about coffee and where it comes from. Featuring Professor Steven Topik and Guillermo Naravez. Free coffee taste testing.
* Center for Citizen Peacebuilding, Cross-Cultural Center, Difficult Dialogues, & International Studies Department present One Voice Israeli/Palestinian Youth Movement: March 8, 3:30 to 5 p.m., SSPA 1100.
- Reception to follow.
- Informal Discussion with Youth Leaders: 6 to 7:20 p.m., Arroyo Vista IPACS House.
- Student organizations interested in sponsoring this event can contact Katharine Keith at email@example.com or 824-8687.
- Hosts are requested to provide refreshments for the audience.
ARTS & CULTURAL EVENTS
* UCI Claire Trevor School of the Arts events. Visit http://www.arts.uci.edu. Call UCIArts Box Office at 824-2787. Hours: 12 - 4 p.m. Weekdays.
- UCI Department of Music presents the Wind Ensemble: A Musical Performance: March 7, 8 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. Free.
- Drama Stage II presents: Polaroid Stories: March 8, 8 p.m., Studio Theatre. March 1 - 3, 8 p.m. March 8 - 10, 8 p.m. Matinees: March 3 & 10, 2 p.m., Studio Theatre. Tickets: $10, $9, & $8.
- Sunday in the Park with George: March 8, 8 p.m., Irvine Barclay Theatre. March 8 - 10, 8 p.m. March 15 - 17, 8 p.m. Matinees: March 10 & 17, 2 p.m. Tickets: Friday/Saturday evening: $35, $30, & $14. Weeknight/matinee: $30, $25, $14.
Video visit http://www.arts.uci.edu/article.php?a_id=1066.
- UCI Chamber Series presents: A Piano Extravaganza - Nohema Fernández and Guest Pianists: March 10, 8 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. Tickets: $12, $10, & $8.
ATHLETIC & RECREATION EVENTS
* UCI Athletics. Visit http://www.athletics.uci.edu.
- March 6, 6 p.m., Anteater Ballpark: UCI Baseball vs. San Diego.
- March 7-10, Anaheim Convention Center: Big West Basketball Tournament. For tickets call 824-6202.
- March 9, 7 p.m., Bren Events Center: UCI Men's Volleyball vs. UCLA.
- March 9, 6 p.m., Anteater Ballpark: UCI Baseball vs. Nevada.
- March 10, 6 p.m., Anteater Ballpark: UCI Baseball vs. Nevada.
- March 11, 1 p.m., Anteater Ballpark; UCI Baseball vs. Nevada.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Vice Chancellor Manuel N. Gomez is holding Office Hours: March 7, 1:30 to 3 p.m., 405 Administration. You are invited to visit with the Vice Chancellor to share an idea, to say hello, or to discuss a concern.
* Counseling Center events at the Career Center. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Peer Program: March 5, 8:00 a.m., SSI, 201. Creating Options And Conquering Hurdles (COACH) is a motivational program that provides UCI students with the opportunity to achieve personal goals and obtain the maximum benefits from their educational experience. To request a COACH call 824-6457 or 824-6987.
- Counseling Center Group Meetings: March 5, 1 to 2:30 p.m., SSI, 201.
- Graduate Student Women's Group: March 5, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Overcoming Writers' Block Group: March 6, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- International Coffee Hour: March 6, 1 to 3 p.m. Refreshments.
- Anxiety and Stress Management: March 6, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- Asian American Women's Group: March 7, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- Living with Loss: A Grief and Loss Support Group: March 7, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- LGBT Group: March 7, 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Estamos Unidos: March 8, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
* UCDC Academic Internship Program presents UCDC Academic Internship Program Info Session: March 7 & 8, 4 to 5 p.m., SS II, 1010 AB. Live, Learn and Intern in Washington DC. Visit http://www.dccenter.uci.edu.
* Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships announces the availability of the 2007-2008 online Scholarship Application for continuing UCI students. Awards from $500 to full in-state fees. For applications visit http://www.ofas.uci.edu/visualaid/login.aspx and select the scholarship link for 2007-08. Deadline is March 15, 2007, at 11:59 p.m.
* UCI Police Department presents Hiring Community Service Officers: March 5, 12 p.m., 100 Public Services Bldg. Hiring responsible, out-going, full-time UCI students. CSO's work 12-19.5 flexible, weekly hours. CSO's do work in the evening and receive a starting hourly pay of $8.50.
* Career Center events at the Career Center Training Room. Visit http://www.career.uci.edu.
- March 5:
1 p.m.: Job Search Strategies.
3 p.m.: Tools to get an Internship.
- March 6:
3 p.m.: The Resume Writing Workshop.
- March 7:
12 p.m.: Interview Techniques.
- March 9:
* Visit the Great Wall! Cross-Cultural Center presents Legends of China Information Sessions: March 6, 1 to 2 p.m. and March 8, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., CCC.
- The 7th annual Legends of China program "The Silk Road to the Future, 2007."
- The 2007 summer program provides four options of varying duration and is open to all interested UCI students, faculty, staff, alumni, and their families.
- Visit http://www.ccc.uci.edu/programs/loc.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* Amnesty International at UCI Speaker Event: March 7, 7 p.m., SSPA 1170. Amnesty International and Muslim Student Union present a lecture by prisoner of conscience, Abdul Hamdan. Visit:
* Asian Baptist Student Koinonia presents Friday Night Bible Study: March 9, 7 p.m., SE II, 1304. Visit http://www.absk.org/uci.
* Association of University Meditators (AUM) meeting: March 8, 6 to 8 p.m., ET 202. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/aum.
* Buddhist Association at UCI presents Guest Speaker: March 8, 6 to 7 p.m., HH 254. Venerable Hui Sheng will be joining our weekly meeting to teach us how to meditate. Bring a blanket and/or pillow.
* Buddhists for World Peace presents Leading A Winning Life Through Human Revolution: March 7, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., SSL 168. Open to all. Short DVD on history of Buddhism & SGI first.
* Chinese Association presents Dollar Theater: March 8, 7 p.m., CCC. Visit http://www.cauci.com.
* Chinese Christian Fellowship meeting: March 8, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., HIB 110. To receive emails contact firstname.lastname@example.org Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/ccf.
* Circle K International meeting: March 7, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., SST 220B. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* Golden Key International Honour Society presents Clean Up Katrina Fundraiser: March 7, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., HH 142. Pizza at $2/slice to help send UCI students to Buras, Louisiana over Spring Break.
* Hapa MIX (Multicultural Interracial Experience) meeting: March 8, 7 p.m., HH 105.
* Latino Business Student Association meeting: March 8, 5 p.m., SST 220B. Visit http://www.lbsairvine.com.
* Latter-Day Saint Student Association presents Institute: March 5, 12 p.m., Interfaith Center. Bible & religion classes: Every Monday & Wednesday 12 & 2 p.m. Bring your scriptures. Visit http://lds.org/institutes/home/0,8473,768-1-36-60068,00.html.
* M.E.Ch.A. Mes de la Raza Committee meeting: March 7, 7 to 8 p.m., SSL 122. Visit http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
* M.E.Ch.A. meeting: March 7, 5 to 6:30 p.m., CCC. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/mecha/.
* Mexican American Engineers and Scientists (MAES) meeting: March 6, 7 p.m., CS 219. Visit http://maesuci.org/index.aspx.
* Pan American Latino Society presents Tropical Tuesdays: March 6, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., SST 220. PALeros is offering free salsa/merengue lessons. No experience or partner needed.
* Students for Peace and Justice meeting: March 6, 6 to 7 p.m., SSL 119. Discussion of current events and the war in Iraq.
* Swing Dancing Club meeting: March 5, 7 p.m., HICF 100A. Open to all. Email email@example.com if interested. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/swingclub/.
* Undergraduate Business Association presents Lending Tree Workshop: March 7, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., SSL 290. Visit http://www.uciuba.com.
* Uniting Voices (UV) is a multi-cultural student-run organization that is dedicated to the unity of its members through their love for music and performing.
- Meeting: March 5, 7 p.m., Crystal Cove Auditorium.
- Meeting: March 7, 7 p.m., MM 116.
* Vietnamese American Coalition (VAC) meeting: March 6, 6 to 7 p.m., HH 112. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/vac/.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, logon to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.