||Anteater Weekly - Week 3
October 9, 2006
* REGISTRAR DEADLINE DATES:
Graduate Students: Wednesday, October 11 is the last day to submit approved petition for part-time study to Graduate Studies.
Undergraduate Students: Friday, October 13 is the last day to submit approved petition for part-time study to the Registrar.
* University Archives and the Office of Research & Graduate Studies present a Thesis/Dissertation Preparation Information Session: October 11, 12:00 to 1:00 p.m., 570 Langson Library. Final submission deadline for a fall degree is December 1, 2006. RSVP is not required. Visit http://www.rgs.uci.edu/grad/students/thesis.htm.
* Dinners for 12 Anteaters:
Student Alumni Association presents Dinners for 12 Anteaters. This campuswide tradition brings Anteater students and alumni together for an evening of camaraderie, fun, and a free home cooked meal. This year's event will take place at various alumni homes around Orange County on Saturday, October 14. Register at http://www.alumni.uci.edu. Email email@example.com for more information.
* Hospitality & Dining Services presents:
- NEW UCI Dining.com. Visit http://www.ucidining.com.
- View your Zot Bucks account balance online.
- Nutritional information on menu items offered in the Residential Dining Commons.
- Family Link allows parents to add a meal plan or Zot Bucks to their students UCI Dining Account.
Two new on-campus lunch locations. Open Monday - Friday,
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- PARKSIDE GRILLE, located between Aldrich Park and the Langson Library. Hamburgers, Boca Burgers, chicken sandwiches, ice cold beverages, and sno cones.
- RING ROAD DELI, located on Ring Mall near the Administration Bldg. Deli sandwiches, panini's, Cyber Pockets, and salads.
CAMPUS EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
* KUCI Ticket Raffle: October 11, 11:00 a.m., Ring Mall. KUCI will be raffling concert tickets to Bamboozle Left and Death Cab For Cutie. Visit http://kuci.org.
* CUSA presents Human Rights in a Complex World: October 11, 7:00 p.m., Irvine Barclay Theatre. Join us as we recognize Lieutenant-General Dallaire for his efforts to stop genocide by presenting him with the 2006 Human Security Award. Tickets: $25, $20, & $8. Visit http://www.cusa.uci.edu/romeo_dallaire.htm.
* Volunteer Center presents Have-A-Heart Volunteer Fair: October 12, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Ring Road, Anteater Plaza. Over 40 community agencies. Prizes and performances. Visit http://www.volunteer.uci.edu.
* UCI LGBT Resource Center presents Safe Zone: October 12, 5:00 to 9:00 p.m., LGBTRC. Open to everyone. A 4-hour training program that offers education, awareness, and leadership skills on being an Ally to LGBT community on campus. To register email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://www.lgbtrc.uci.edu.
ATHLETIC & RECREATION EVENTS
* Come out and support UCI ATHLETICS. Admission is free for all UCI events with valid ID. Visit http://www.athletics.uci.edu/.
- MIDNIGHT MAGIC 2006: October 13, 9:00 p.m., Bren Event Center. Kickoff of the 2006-2007 Men's and Women's Basketball Season. Free food, games, and prizes. First time to sign up for the CIA. Costume Contest.
- Men's Soccer vs. Cal State Northridge: October 11, 7:00 p.m., Anteater Stadium. Chivas USA night. Come meet Chivas USA star and Irvine native Matt Taylor, brother of UC Irvine Soccer player Cory Taylor.
- Women's Soccer vs. Pacific: October 13, 7:00 p.m., Anteater Stadium.
- Women's Volleyball vs. UC Davis: October 14, 7:00 p.m., Crawford Gym.
- Men's Soccer vs. San Diego State: October 14, 7:00 p.m., Anteater Stadium.
- Women's Soccer vs. UC Davis: October 15, 1:00 p.m., Anteater Stadium.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, & STUDENT SERVICES
* Counseling Center Fall Groups meetings. Visit http://www.counseling.uci.edu.
- Graduate Student Women's Group: October 9, 1:00 p.m., Student Services I, 201. Prior experience is helpful. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Every Monday, 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
- General Psychotherapy Group: October 10, 3:00 p.m., Students Services I, 201. Discuss personal problems. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Every Tuesday, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Anxiety and Stress Management Group: October 10, 3:30 p.m., 201 Student Services I. Discuss anxiety and stress. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Every Tuesday, 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- Stress Management Group: October 10, 3:30 to 5:00 p.m., Student Services 1. Meets for 8 sessions on Tuesdays until 10th week. Ends with a 30 minute relaxation technique. Need to meet with a group leader prior to joining the group. This is not a drop-in group.
- LGBT Group: October 11, 3:00 p.m., Student Services I, 201. Discuss issues such as coming out, dating and relationship concerns, self-acceptance and esteem. Contact email@example.com. Every Wednesday, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Overcoming Writer's Block: October 12, 1:00 p.m., Student Services I, 201. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Every Thursday, 1 to 3:00 p.m.
* UCDC Academic Internship Center Info Sessions. Live, Learn and Intern in Washington DC. Visit http://www.dccenter.uci.edu.
- October 9, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., Student Services I, 203.
- October 12, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., Student Services II, 1010AB
* UCDC Academic Internship Center presents UC Center Sacramento Info Session: October 10, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., Student Services II, 1002. Live, Learn and Intern in Sacramento! Visit http://uccs.universityofcalifornia.edu/.
* LGBT Resource Center presents Coming Out Week Events: October 11, 12:00 p.m., various locations.
- OCTOBER 9, 6 p.m., HH, 178: Marcia Gallo, Author of Different Daughters.
- OCTOBER 10, 7 p.m., LGBTRC: Irvine Queers (IQ) Coming Out Panel. Hear stories from LGBT & Ally speakers bureau.
- OCTOBER 11, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Anteater Plaza: National Coming Out Day. LGBT & Ally Celebration & Resource Fair.
12 p.m., Anteater Plaza: Speakers & Raci Ignacio
7 p.m., RH 101: Keynote: Raci Ignacio. Transgender students featured on documentary “TransGeneration”.
- OCTOBER 12, 5 to 9 p.m.: Safe Zone Training. Email LGBTRC.
- OCTOBER 13, 7 to 9 p.m., HIB 100: Irvine Queers (IQ) Say It Out Loud.
- OCTOBER 14, 7 to 10 p.m., Corona Del Mar: Irvine Queers (IQ) Bon Fire. Visit http://www.lgbtrc.uci.edu.
* International Center presents American English In Action Tutor Training: October 11, 12:00 p.m., 3800 Berkeley Place.
- American English in Action: Tutor international students for volunteer work. Interested? Stop by the International Center Office, Berkeley Place, 3800. Email AEIAction@gmail.com. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/fci.
CLUB EVENTS & MEETINGS
* Accounting Association hosts a PricewaterhouseCoopers Presentation: October 10, 5:00 p.m., MSTB 120. Visit http://www.aauci.com.
* Alpha Chi Omega presents Hawaii A-Chi-O: October 13, 4:00 p.m., ARC. Free music and food.
* American Red Cross Chaper at UCI presents a Blood Drive: October 10, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Ring Road. Visit http://www.redcrossuci.org.
* American Red Cross Chapter at UCI meeting: October 9, 5:00 to 6:00 p.m., HH, 100. Visit http://www.redcrossuci.org.
* Amnesty International presents meeting: October 11, 7:00 p.m., HH, 112. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/amnesty/.
* Anteaters for Recycling and Conservation meeting: October 11, 7:00 p.m., SSL, 105. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/recycle/index.htm.
* Asian Baptist Student Koinonia presents Friday Night Bible Study: October 13, 7:00 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Visit http://www.absk.org/uci.
* Association of Undergraduate Meditators for Better Health meeting: October 11, 5:30 p.m., ET, 201. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/AUM.
* Buddhist Association at UCI meeting: October 11, 7:00 p.m., HH 210. Open to everyone.
* Buddhist for World Peace presents Leading a Winning Life Through Human Revolution: October 11, 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., SSPA, 1165. Open to everyone.
* Chicanos/ Latinos for Community Medicine meeting: October 10, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center.
* Chinese Association at UCI hosts Family Chinese Dinner: October 12, 7:00 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Visit http://www.cauci.com.
* Chinese Christian Fellowship meeting: October 12, 7:30 p.m., SSPA, 1170. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/ccf.
* Circle K International meeting: October 10, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., SST, 220A. Visit http://www.ucicirclek.org.
* College Bowl Club meeting: October 10, 7:00 to 10:00 p.m., HH, 257. Open to everyone. Visit http://clubs.uci.edu/qbc.
* College Republicans meeting: October 11, 5:00 p.m., SSTR, 103. Visit http://www.irvine.collegegop.org.
* Golden Key International Honors Society presents a Bonfire: October 10, 5:30 p.m., meet at HH, 100 (if you need a ride to location). Food and refreshments provided.
* Green Campus meeting: October 11, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., HH, 108.
* Green Campus presents Take The Stairs Day: October 10, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Science Library. Visit http://www.freewebs.com/greencampus.
* Hindu Students Council meeting: October 9, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Visit http://www.hscuci.org.
* Imports@UCI meeting: October 10, 7:00 p.m., HH, 254. Visit http://www.importsuci.com.
* International Student Association meeting: October 10, 6:00 p.m., CS 219. Visit http://www.isauci.edu.
* Latino Business Student Association meeting: October 12, 5:00 p.m., HH, 156. Visit http://www.lbsairvine.com.
* M.E.Ch.A presents meeting: October 11, 5:00 to 6:30 p.m., CCC. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/mecha/.
* Model United Nations meeting: October 10, 5:00 p.m., SSPB, 1208.
* Muslim Student Union presents Fast-A-Thon: October 11, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., BC's Cavern. Sign up at the MSU booth Wednesdays and Thursdays in front of Administration. Fast for a day and get a free dinner. Visit http://msu-uci.com.
* Pan American Latino Society meeting: October 16, 8:00 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center. Mondays, CCC, 8 p.m. Week 4, Peruvian cultural presentation.
* Public Health Association at UCI meeting: October 18, 6:00 p.m., Social Science Lab, 140. Visit http://ucipublichealth.googlepages.com/.
* Social Ecology Student Association meeting: October 11, 6:00 p.m., Social Ecology I, 112. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/sesa/.
* Socialist Organizer meeting: October 9, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., HH 100.
* Socialist Organizer presents Iraq War Strategy Session/Forum: October 10, 7:00 p.m., HH, 220.
* Spirit & Truth Lighthouse Club presents "Are We Living in the End Times?": October 11, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m., HH 262. Visit http://www.stlh.org/uci.
* Student Society for Stem Cell Research presents Christopher Reeve Candlelight Vigil titled "Nothing is Impossible": October 10, 5:00 p.m., 1st Floor Gillespie Neuroscience Research Facility. Open to everyone. RSVP by October 8 to http://email@example.com.
* Students For Peace and Justice meeting: October 10, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., SSL, 119.
* Students for Homeless Outreach United Togther (SHOUT) meeting: October 16, 6:00 p.m., SSTR 100.
* Students for LIFE (Life Is For Everyone) meeting: October 9, 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., HH, 251.
* Swing Dancing Club meeting: October 16, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m., HICF 100A.
* Swing Dancing Club meeting: October 9, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m., HICF, 100A. Open to everyone. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/swingclub/.
* U See Eyes meeting: October 11, 5:00 p.m., HH, 118. Free pizza and drinks. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/useeeyes.
* UCI Hiking Club meeting: October 11, 7:30 to 8:00 p.m., ARC Team Room.
* Uncultivated Rabbits meeting: October 9, 5:00 p.m., HH, 220. Visit http://www.myspace.com/uncultivatedrabbits.
* Uncultivated Rabbits presents Fall Quarter Open Mic: October 11, 7:00 p.m., Berry Terrace, Bren Events Center. Free.
* Vietnamese American Coalition at UCI meeting: October 10, 6:00 to 7:00 p.m., SSL 129. Visit http://www.clubs.uci.edu/vac.
* Volunteer Center, S.H.O.U.T., CALPIRG present Hunger and Awareness Week Coalition meeting: October 9, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Volunteer Center. National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week is Novemeber 13 through 18.
* Women in Information and Computer Sciences (WICS) presents a Mentoring Program Kick-Off: October 12, 6:30 p.m., CS Bldg., 4th floor, Room CS432. Sign up for a mentor. Visit http://www.ics.uci.edu.
* World Health Organization of Students (W.H.O.S.) meeting: October 12, 5:00 p.m., SSTR, 100. Join us on October 14, for the Huntington's Disease Walk for the Cure here at UCI. Open to all. Free snacks.
* Young Democrats at UCI meeting: October 10, 5:00 to 6:00 p.m., HH, 112. Visit http://YDUCI.org.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, logon to http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://antweek.vcsa.uci.edu/.