October 15, 2001 (Week 4)
* ASUCI hosts the following activities. Admission is free.
- October 16, 8 p.m., Humanities Instructional Building, Room 100: PREVIEW MOVIE SCREENING of “Life as a House.” Passes now available at UC Items.
- October 17, 12 to 1 p.m., UCI Student Center Terrace: NOONTIME SHOW featuring “L.A. SYMPHONY”
- October 23, 8 p.m., Humanities Instructional Building, Room 100: PREVIEW MOVIE SCREENING of “K-Pax.” Passes will be available beginning October 17 at UC Items.
* UC Irvine CAREER CENTER presents the following events:
- LIVE, LEARN, AND INTERN IN WASHINGTON:
- October 15, 4 p.m., Career Center
- October 19, 12 noon, Career Center
- October 24, 5 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010
- October 25, 5 p.m., Career Center
- October 30, 5 p.m., Student services II, Room 1010
- November 1, 5 p.m., Career Center
- ON CAMPUS INTERVIEW ORIENTATION:
- October 15, 11 to 12 p.m., Career Center
- October 17, 1 to 2 p.m., Career Center
- October 19, 3 to 4 p.m., Career Center
- PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT: October 15, 1 to 3 p.m., Career Center
- RESUME WORKSHOP: October 17, 2 to 3 p.m., Career Center
- CAREER PLANNING: October 18, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Career Center
- INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES: October 18, 1 to 2 p.m., Career Center
- FIND THE IDEAL JOB: October 18, 3 to 4 p.m., Career Center
* The HEALTH EDUCATION CENTER and HUMAN RESOURCES brings you the UCI HEALTH FAIR: October 24, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., UCI Student Center. There will be free massages, food samples, healthy cooking demonstrations by CHEF BIAN, resume writing tips, body composition analysis, and gift bags for the first 200 attendees. VACCESS Health will provide meningitis vaccines for a fee. Win prizes and gift certificates! Visit http://www.health.uci.edu/ or call 824-9355.
CAMPUS EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
* UC Irvine ATHLETICS presents MEN’S SOCCER versus UC Riverside on October 19, 7 p.m., Anteater Stadium. Free soccer key-chains will be given to the first 100 students. Admission is free for UC Irvine students. Visit http://www.athletics.uci.edu/.
* Support the UC Irvine MEN and WOMEN ROWING TEAMS as they present the NEWPORT AUTUMN ROWING FESTIVAL (NARF): November 4, 8 a.m., UC Irvine Boathouse. Visit http://www.wcrew.uci.edu/ for directions.
* ACADEMIA AND ACTION, PACIFICA CAMPAIGN, ACT FOR GLOBAL JUSTICE, and UCI RESPONSE presents TERRORISM, WAR, AND THE MEDIA: WHAT YOU DON’T HEAR IN MAINSTREAM MEDIA on October 20, 3 p.m., Social Science Lecture Hall. Speakers and topics include DAVID BARSAMIAN, “Terrorism: Theirs and Ours,” and LAURA FLANDERS, “Media Coverage of the Terrorist Attack and the Media Blackout of the Peace Movement.”
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, AND STUDENT SERVICES
* The UCDC WASHINGTON CENTER PROGRAMS present the following FALL 2001 Sessions. Applications are due November 2, 5 p.m., Career Center or Student Services II, Room 1100:
- October 15, 4 p.m., Career Center, Kaplan Conference Room: INFORMATION SESSION
- October 19, 12 noon, Career Center, Kaplan Conference Room: INFORMATION SESSION
* The UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES PROGRAM (UROP) at UC Irvine will be holding an informative workshop on October 17, 4 to 6 p.m., Social Science Lab, Room 290. Discover the possibilities of undergraduate research.
* The OFFICE OF THE DEAN OF STUDENTS presents free seminars as part of the PASSPORT FOR THE 21st CENTURY:
- October 16, 12 noon to 1:30 p.m., UCI Student Center, Lido Room: NEURO-LINGUISTIC PROGRAMMING: UNDERSTANDING YOUR COMMUNICATION STYLE
- October 17, 4 to 5 p.m., UCI Career Center, Training Room: CAREER SUCCESS DEPENDS ON LEADERSHIP: PREPARING FOR THE REAL WORLD
- October 18, 2 to 3:30 p.m., Mesa Court Housing Complex, Sardis Room: ARE WE ALL REALLY THE SAME?
* The LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER RESOURCE CENTER SPEAKERS BUREAU will hold an LGBT 101 WORKSHOP: October 16, 5 to 7 p.m., LGBT Resource Center (Gateway Commons, Room 106).
- Participate in a two-part SPEAKERS BUREAU training session: October 18, 5 to 9 p.m., LGBT Resource Center (Gateway Commons, Room 106). Participants will receive training on how to relay their coming-out stories and how to speak on a wide range of LGBT topics.
* The UC Irvine CREATIVE WRITING PROGRAM presents the first reading in the 2001-2002 MFA Reading Series: October 16, 6 p.m., Humanities Instructional Building, Room 135. Admission is free. Visit http://www.humanities.uci.edu/mfareading/.
* Check out the following EDUCATION ABROAD PROGRAM (EAP) events. Call 824-6343, e-mail email@example.com or visit http://www.cie.uci.edu/:
- October 16, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010 A and B: EAP UNITED KINGOM and IRELAND information session
- October 17, 3 to 4 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010 A and B: INTERNATIONAL STUDIES MAJOR OPPORTUNITIES ABROAD information session
- October 17, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010 A and B: EAP ITALY information session
- October 18, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Ring Road at the UCI Student Center: IOP “GO ABROAD” FAIR
* The GASSMANN ELECTRONIC MUSIC SERIES hosts INTERNET PIANOS: October 17, 8 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. A Realtime duo piano concert over the Internet featuring KEI AKAGI (UCI) and ANTHONY DAVIS (UCSD). Admission is free. Call 824-7288.
* The UCI CHAMBER SERIES presents VIOLIST JOHN SCANLON AND FRIENDS: October 20, 8 p.m., Winifred Smith Hall. Program consists of TELEMANN’S Sonata in G Major, LOEFFLER’S Two Rhapsodies, PIAZZOLLA’S Le Grand Tango, and the world premiere of MARIA L. NEWMAN’S “Othmar,” Sonata for Viola Alone (2001). Admission is $6 for UCI students. Call 824-2787.
* The UC Irvine CHICANO/LATINO STUDIES PROGRAM presents its 8th ANNUAL OPEN HOUSE: October 18, 4 to 6 p.m., UCI Student Center, Social Science Plaza A and B. Call (949) 824-7180 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The UCI FILM SOCIETY presents JULIEN DONKEY-BOY (Harmony Korine, USA 1999): October 19, 7 and 9 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium. Tickets are $3 for UC Irvine Students.
* CANTERBURY IRVINE EPISCOPAL CAMPUS MINISTRY at UC Irvine hosts the following events. Admission is free. E-mail email@example.com or call (714) 225-7335:
- October 21, 6 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium: JUSTIN COTTRELL on saxophone.
- October 22, 12 noon to 6 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay A: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE HUMAN?
CLUB EVENTS AND MEETINGS
* The ENGINEERING STUDENT COUNCIL (ESC) invites students to the following information sessions. Visit http://www.esc.eng.uci.edu:
- October 15, 12 noon to 1 p.m., Engineering Gateway, Room 3161: PEARL HARBOR NAVAL SHIPYARD AND INTERMEDIATE MAINTENANCE FACILITY INFORMATION SESSION
- October 16, 12 noon to 1 p.m., Engineering Gateway, Room 3311: BOEING INFORMATION SESSION
* PANHELLENIC and INTERFRATERNITY COUNCIL (IFC) invite you to their annual ALL GREEK CONFERENCE: October 15, 6:30 p.m., Bren Events Center. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Attention all Greeks! GREEK PHOTO NIGHT: October 17 and October 30, Student Center Terrace. Reservations are required at ASUCI. Space is limited. The cost for one page is $100 and for two is $180.
* KAPPA KAPPA GAMMA hosts the following events for the DISASTER RELIEF FUNDRAISER (September 11):
- October 15 to 18, Ring Road: VISIT THE BOOTH to make donations for the Disaster Relief Fundraiser
- October 18, Anthill Pub and Grille: PUB NIGHT FUNDRAISER ($2 donations accepted at the door)
* The U SEE EYES PRE-OPTOMETRY club presents a meeting: October 15, 5 p.m., Steinhaus Hall, Room 128.
* Attend the CHINESE BUDDHIST SOCIETY lecture/discussion on Buddhism with speaker HUEI HSUEN: October 15, 7 to 9 p.m., Social Science Trailer, Room 101.
* Interested in working with high school students to encourage them to pursue higher education? Join the PILIPINO PRE-HEALTH UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT ORGANIZATION (PUSO) HIGH SCHOOL OUTREACH PROGRAM. Applications are available from October 16 to November 6 in the Cross Cultural Center.
* Volunteer to help the homeless! STUDENTS FOR HOMELESS OUTREACH UNITED TOGETHER (SHOUT) holds meetings: Wednesdays, 5 to 6 p.m., Social Science Tower, Room 220A.
* The ECONOMICS CLUB invites you to a meeting: October 17, 6 p.m., Social Science Laboratory, Room 206. Visit http://spirit.dos.uci.edu/econclub/ or e-mail email@example.com.
* The UC Irvine FENCING CLUB offers instruction, recreational fencing, and an inter-collegiate team: Wednesdays and Fridays, 6:30 p.m., Anteater Recreational Center, Activity Annex. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The ASIAN AMERICAN CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP (AACF) holds annual meetings: Wednesdays, 7 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove.
* ARTS AND CRAFTS FOR HUMANITY (ACFH) hosts the following events. E-mail email@example.com:
- October 17, 8 to 9 p.m., Monarch Bay A: GENERAL MEETING
- October 18, 7 to 9 p.m., Club Workroom: PAINT/SKETCH WORKSHOP
* The CHINESE ASSOCIATION at UC Irvine hosts weekly meetings: Thursdays, 7 p.m., Social Science Laboratory, Room 290.
* JOVENES PARA CRISTO hosts their weekly meetings: Thursdays, 7 p.m., Interfaith. Everyone is welcome to join in a Bible study and prayer meeting.
* Become a COMMUNITY STUDY BUDDY! The UCI CROSS-CULTURAL CENTER presents an INFORMATION SESSION: October 17, 4 p.m., UCI Cross-Cultural Center. Call 824-3500.
DID YOU KNOW?
To create their pizza, each year B.C.’s Cavern on the Green uses 1,440 lbs. of tomato sauce, 6,400 lbs. of mozzarella cheese, and 350 lbs. of pepperoni.
The Anteater Weekly is archived at http://www.antlink.uci.edu/aw.html. For more information on activities and events visit the UC Irvine homepage at http://www.uci.edu/.
If you would like to tell us what you think of the format or information provided by this email, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Question of the Week responses may be sent to email@example.com.
To unsubscribe to this service, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: in order for us to unsubscribe a request, we must have your email address that ends with @uci.edu.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, send a message to email@example.com and specify that it is either for undergraduate or graduate students or for both. Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday “prior” to the following week of posting.