January 26, 2004 (Week 3)
* FRIDAY, JANUARY 30 is the LAST DAY TO SUBMIT APPROVED PETITION FOR PART-TIME STUDY to the Registrar’s Office.
* Need scholarship for next year? The OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS announces the availability of the 2004-2005 UCI SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION. You can access the application on-line at http://www.fao.uci.edu/app.php/. Prior to submitting your application, you are encouraged to review the criteria of each scholarship to ensure you meet the qualifications of the specific scholarship. The deadline to submit your application is March 15, 2004. Start working on your application now so you don’t miss this opportunity.
* Are you ready for graduation? Take care of all your graduation needs (cap & gown order, diploma frame, senior portrait, yearbook, ring order, and more at the annual SENIOR INFORMATION DAYS: January 28 and 29, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay A, B, & C.
- In addition, you can vote for your choice of the 2003-2004 OUTSTANDING PROFESSORS and the SENIOR CLASS GIFT. Parents are welcome too! Refreshments provided.
* UCI CAREER CENTER presents CAREER WEEK. Come to workshops and panels to get prepared for the Career Fair. Visit www.career.uci.edu. All events are held in the Career Center, Training Room.
- TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS, TAKING CARE OF YOU: January 26, 2 p.m.
- HOW TO CREATE A RESUME: January 26, 4 p.m., and January 30, 1 p.m.
- FINDING A JOB IN TODAY’S ECONOMY: January 27, 5 p.m.
- INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES: January 28, 2 p.m.
- HOW TO MARKET YOURSELF: January 29, 5 p.m.
- CAREER FAIR FUNDAMENTALS: January 30, 3 p.m.
* CELEBRATE INTERNSHIP DAZE at the UCI Career Center! For more information, visit www.career.uci.edu. All events take place in the Career Center, Training Room.
- INTERNSHIP STUDENT PANEL: January 28, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- HOW TO GET AN INTERNSHIP: January 29, 12 p.m.
CAMPUS EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
* Representatives for ASUCI LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL hosts a FORUM for SOCIAL SCIENCE STUDENTS: January 28, 7 to 8 p.m., Social Science Plaza A, Room 1100. Students will have the opportunity to ask questions and voice concerns. To submit questions in advance email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR WRITING AND TRANSLATION presents THE MAORI SHAKESPEARE: January 29:
- 4 p.m., Humanities Instructional Building, Room 135: DON C. SELWYN, Executive Producer and Director, Co-founder of He Taonga Films, MERIMERI PENFOLD, Lecturer, Translator, and Commissioner, Human Rights Commission, New Zealand, MICHAEL NEILL, Professor of English, University of Auckland, New Zealand, and moderator HUGH ROBERTS, Professor and Vice Chair, Department of English, UCI. Reading of Shakespearean sonnets in Maori and English by MERIMERI PENFOLD. Seminar and reading are free, but film admission is $5.
- 5:45 p.m., Humanities Instructional Building, Room 137: Reception.
- 7 p.m., Humanities Instructional Building, Room 100: THE MAORI MERCHANT OF VENICE (Te Tangata Whai Rawa O Weniti), He Taonga Films (2002), subtitled. Questions and Answers with DON C. SELWYN.
ARTS AND CULTURAL EVENTS
* CLAIRE TREVOR SCHOOL OF THE ARTS events:
- UNDERGRADUATE SELECTED EXHIBITIONS: January 27 through February 5 and February 10 through 19, University Art Gallery and Room. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 12 to 5 p.m.
- DRAMA AT UCI MAINSTAGE: ROMEO & JULIET, adapted and director by CLIFF FAULKNER: January 30 and 31 and February 4 through 7, 8 p.m. Matinees January 31 and February 7, 2 p.m. Tickets are $9. Call UCIArts Box Office at 824-2787.
ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY CULTURAL EVENT
* ORANGE COUNTY PERFORMING ARTS CENTER presents The Hamburg Ballet’s performance of NIJINSKY. Specially priced tickets for UCI students, faculty, and staff are $20, maximum of four. Tickets go on sale: January 28 for three exclusive engagements on February 11, 12, and 13, 8 p.m. Bring your UCI ID card to Center Box Office.
ATHLETIC AND RECREATION EVENTS
* ATHLETIC events. Admission is free.
- January 28, 7 p.m., Bren Events Center: #10 MEN'S VOLLEYBALL vs. #1 Pepperdine.
- January 29, 7 p.m., Bren Events Center: WOMEN'S BASKETBALL vs. Utah State.
- January 30, 7 p., Crawford Court: #10 MEN'S VOLLEYBALL vs. #15 USC.
- January 31, 7 p.m., Bren Events Center: WOMEN'S BASKETBALL vs. Idaho State.
- January 31, 12 p.m., Anteater Aquatic Complex: SWIMMING vs. UC San Diego.
* UCI MEN’S LACROSSE CLUB will be playing UCLA in their season opener: January 31, 5 p.m., ARC fields.
- If you are interested in playing, lacrosse practices are held Monday through Friday, 7:30 p.m., ARC fields.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT, AND STUDENT SERVICES
* OFFICE OF THE DEAN OF STUDENTS presents a free seminar as part of the PASSPORT FOR THE 21ST CENTURY LEADERSHIP SEMINARS:
- ACCESSING YOUR LEADERSHIP STYLE with LEIGH POIRIER, Complex Coordinator, Mesa Court Housing: January 26, 2 to 3:30 p.m., Mesa Court Community Center, Multi-Purpose Room.
* UCDC ACADEMIC INTERNSHIP PROGRAM information session: January 27, 3 p.m., Student Services, Room 1002. Email email@example.com for more information. Deadline for Fall 2004 and Winter 2005 is February 27, 2004.
CLUB EVENTS AND MEETINGS
* U SEE EYES (Pre-Optometry Club) meeting: January 26, 5 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay E. Speaker is DR. OCCHIPINTI.
* ENGINEERING STUDENT COUNCIL presents ARE YOU READY…WITH YOUR RESUMES?: January 27, 6 to 7 p.m., Engineering Gateway, Room 3311. Bring resumes and find out how to improve them.
In addition, you are invited to a FACULTY-STUDENT COFFEE BREAK: February 5, 9 to 11 a.m., Engineering Gateway Plaza. Free coffee, tea, and donuts.
* HISTORY UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT ASSOCIATION hosts a MOVIE NIGHT AND SOCIAL: January 27, 7:30 p.m., Murray Krieger Hall, Room 126. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* NIGERIAN STUDENTS ASSOCIATION invites you to a NIGERIAN CULTURE WEEK titled “Whispers in Naija.” Come and experience the culture of Naija!
- January 27, 7:30 p.m., Rosa Parks House in Arroyo Vista: FIRESIDE CHATS
- January 28, 6:30 p.m., Rosa Parks House in Arroyo Vista: NIGERIAN MOVIE NIGHT
- January 29, 8 p.m., Cross-Cultural Center: TALES BY MOONLIGHT
* AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL meeting: January 28, 7 p.m., UCI Student Center, Salt Creek A&B. Featuring a letter writing concerning children in immigration detention.
* KAPPA ALPHA THETA presents a PRE-SUPER BOWL FUN: January 28, 6:30 to 9 p.m., Kappa Alpha Theta House in Arroyo Vista.
* ASIAN AMERICAN CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP meeting: January 28, 7 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay E. Visit http://devoted.to/aacfuci.
* MULTIFACETED STORYTELLING GENERATION performs a variety of stories through theater, music, dance, and comedy: January 28 and 29, 8 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium.
* MUSLIM STUDENT UNION presents the following events on January 29 in the UCI Student Center, Salt Creek A and B:
- 6 p.m.: ISLAMIC HISTORY: JERUSALEM.
- 8 p.m.: DR. IMAD BAYOUN HALAQA.
* TEACH FOR AMERICA hosts a free screening of a CNN documentary about their organization: January 29, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., UCI Student Center, Monarch Bay A. Application deadline for the 2004 corps is February 15, 2004.
* STUDENTS FOR DEMOCRACY IN IRAN general meetings: Tuesdays, 5 p.m., UCI STUDENT CENTER, Crescent Bay A&B.
* SOULED OUT meetings: Tuesdays, 7:30 p.m., Rowland Hall, Room 104.
In addition, SOULED OUT presents an Orphanage Visit to Mexico: January 31, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. meet at the Administration Flagpoles at 8:45 a.m. for rides and directions. Transportation provided. Contact email@example.com.
* ZOTFILM meetings: Wednesdays, 5 p.m., Humanities Hall, Room 156. Join us to talk about films and participate by helping out on our annual student film festival xZOTica. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* TAU BETA PI invites you to showcase your talent at their TALENT SHOW scheduled for February 5, 8 to 11 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium. If you are interested email email@example.com.
DID YOU KNOW?
In June 2003, UCI Extension awarded more than 1,125 certificates in 66 areas including Project Management, Marketing, Advanced Software Technologies, Human Resource Management, and Teaching English as a Second Language.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify if it is for undergraduate students, graduate students, or for both.
Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday “prior” to the following week of posting.
Archives and guidelines of the Anteater Weekly are available at http://www.antlink.uci.edu/weekly/.