October 9, 2000 (Week 3)
FEATURED EVENTS OF THE WEEK
* SENIOR KICK-OFF: October 12, 4 to 7 p.m., Anthill Pub & Grille. Free food and general information about graduation. Sponsored by ASUCI, the UCI Student Center, and the UCI Alumni Association.
* Join UCI ATHLETICS for an evening of MIDNIGHT MAGIC: October 13, 10:30 p.m., Bren Events Center. Come and see the UCI BASKETBALL teams kick-off the start of the season competing in a 3-point shoot out, dunk contest, and scrimmage. Admission is free. Take a shot at a chance for $10,000!
CAMPUS EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
* The Muslim Student Union presents ISLAMIC AWARENESS WEEK. Come and learn more about the way of life known as Islam. Admission is free.
Lectures: October 9, October 10, and October 12, 12 noon to 1 p.m., UCI Student Center, ATM area.
- October 9, 7 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium: Science and Islam
- October 10, 7 p.m., UCI Student Center, Monarch Bay B: Women and Islam
- October 11, 7 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay B: Jesus and Islam
- October 12, 7 p.m., Physical Sciences Lecture Hall: Media and Islam
- October 13, 7 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay A: Documentary
* Attention wind instrumentalists! Come and join the UCI WIND ENSEMBLE. Rehearsals: Mondays and Wednesdays, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Music Department, Room 196. For more information email email@example.com.
* WOODWIND & BRASS MUSICIANS are invited to join the UC Irvine PEP BAND. Rehearsals: Mondays, 7 p.m., Music Department, Room 196. Receive 2 units! For details email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.pepband.uci.edu.
* The RAINBOW COALITION, IRVINE invites you to a NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY celebration: October 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., UCI Student Center, ATM area. Highlights include speakers, dance performances, and free pizza!
* The UCI Bookstore Author Series presents writers and UCI alumni AIMEE BENDER and RICK REIKEN: October 12, 12 noon, UCI Bookstore. Aimee Bender will read from her new novel entitled "An Invisible Sign of My Own" and Rick Reiken will read from his new novel entitled "The Lost Legends of New Jersey." For more information call 824-7337.
* The BREN FELLOWS PROGRAM presents the 23rd Bren Lecture entitled "Memory: From Mind to Molecules" by Thomas J. Carew, UCI Bren Professor and Chair, Neurobiology and Behavior: October 12, 8 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium. Reception to follow. Admission is free. Call 824-8294.
* The UCI FILM SOCIETY presents THE TERMINATOR (James Cameron, USA, 1984) as part of Fall Quarter's Vision of the Future: October 13, 7 and 9 p.m., UCI Student Center, Crystal Cove Auditorium. Admission is $2.50 for UCI students. Visit http://www.filmsociety.uci.edu.
* Join UCI ATHLETICS for the following events. Admission is free for UCI students. Visit http://www.athletics.uci.edu.
- October 13, 7 p.m., Crawford Gymnasium: WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL hosts Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
- October 13, 7 p.m., Anteater Stadium: MEN'S SOCCER versus University of Denver.
- October 14, 7 p.m., Crawford Gymnasium: WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL is back in action against UCSB.
- October 15, 12 noon, Crawford Pool: #6 MEN'S WATER POLO hosts Pacific.
- October 15, 7 p.m., Crawford Gymnasium: WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL against William & Mary.
* The UCI Student Center invites you to come and see the paintings of ANA MARIA SOTO, UCI alumna, entitled MOSAICS. Art displays in the UCI Student Center, Center Hall Gallery now through December 15, 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Monday through Friday) and 12 noon to 11 p.m. (weekends). A reception will be held on October 13, 7 to 9 p.m. in the UCI Student Center, Salt Creek Rooms. Admission is free.
* Do you enjoy swimming? The DELTA GAMMA sorority hosts "Anchor Splash": October 14, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Crawford Pool. Sign up your club or friends and spend a day at the pool, playing games, and eating! Enjoy an evening of dancing and a talent show. Proceeds will benefit a local charity. RSVP by October 9, email email@example.com.
* Interested in psychology? The PSYCHOLOGY CLUB at UCI invites you to a meeting: October 17, 6 p.m., Social Science Lab, Room 168.
* Give the gift of life and donate blood! Health Education and the UCI Medical Center host a BLOOD DRIVE: October 18, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay A & B. Call 824-5806 to make an appointment. All donors who give a pint of blood will receive a gift certificate for a pint of ice cream!
* TICKETS are now on sale for the following events at the BREN EVENTS CENTER. Call 824-5000. Visit http://www.bren.uci.edu.
- SUPERTONES in concert: October 14, 4 p.m. Tickets are $15 (advanced purchase) and $20 (day of event).
- DEFTONES in concert with Incubus and Taproot: October 23, 7 p.m. Tickets are $22 for UCI students (limit 2 per ID).
- CAPITOL STEPS: October 26, 8 p.m. Tickets are $6 for UCI students.
- WCW WRESTLING: October 30, 4:30 p.m. Tickets are $30, $20, and $10 for UCI students.
- MTV CAMPUS INVASION featuring Wyclef, De La Soul, and Black Eyed Peas: November 1, 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $21 for UCI students.
- JACI VELASQUEZ in concert also featuring Plus One: December 4, 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $23.50 (reserved) and $17.50 (general) for UCI students.
REGISTRATION, ACADEMIC SUPPORT AND STUDENT SERVICES
* ATTENTION SENIORS!
- SENIOR PORTRAITS will be taken during October 9 through October 19, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m., UCI Student Center, Emerald Bay E. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calling all ARTISTIC seniors! Interested in designing your 2001 SENIOR T-SHIRT? Enter the Senior T-Shirt Design Contest! First prize is a 2001 UCI Anthology (UCI Yearbook) and a senior T-shirt with your design! Deadline is October 12. Entry forms are available at the ASUCI front desk.
* Do you have issues or concerns? The ASUCI Office of the President holds OPEN OFFICE HOURS: Mondays, 3 to 5 p.m. and Tuesday/Thursdays, 4 to 5 p.m., ASUCI. Appointments are also available. Call 824-2415.
* EDUCATION ABROAD PROGRAM (EAP) INFORMATION SESSIONS:
- October 10, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010 A & B: GENERAL INFORMATION
- October 11, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010 A & B: UNITED KINGDOM / IRELAND
- October 12, 3 to 4 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010 A &B: PHILIPPINES
- October 12, 4 to 5 p.m., Student Services II, Room 1010 A & B: JAPAN
- October 27 is the APPLICATION DEADLINE for the following programs: Costa Rica tropical biology spring/fall, Germany spring, Italy spring, Japan spring, and Philippines spring through fall. Applications are available in the Center for International Education, Student Services II, Room 1100. Call 824-6343 or email email@example.com. Visit http://www.cie.uci.edu.
* ATTENTION CLUBS & GREEKS!
Don't forget to reserve your space in the 2001 UCI Anthology (UCI Yearbook). Space is limited! Photos will be taken on October 18 and October 30, 4 to 10 p.m., UCI Student Center Terrace. Come to the ASUCI front desk to make your reservation. Space availability is on a first come first serve basis.
* The ASUCI Office of the Executive Vice President is accepting applications for Judicial Board, Legislative Council, Elections Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, and Ex-Officio seats. Applications are available at the ASUCI front desk. DEADLINE is October 13, 5 p.m.!
* Need TUTORING?
UCI's Learning and Academic Resource Center (LARC) offers small group tutorial sessions for many classes in various disciplines.
- Spaces are available for biology, chemistry, math, humanities, and many other subjects. Sign up through TELE.
- Need assistance with Writing 39 A, B, C, or Humanities Core? Attend a writing workshop and make an appointment with a writing specialist to get feedback on your paper. Sign up for LARC workshops at http://www.larc.uci.edu.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
What do you expect ASUCI to do for you?
E-mail your response to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU KNOW?
Prior to this year, the UCI Men's Basketball has never had a seven-foot player. The Anteater team has two this year: 7-0 Adam Parada and 7-2 Dave Korfman.
The Anteater Weekly is archived at http://www.asuci.uci.edu/anteater_weekly. For more information on activities and events visit the UCI homepage at http://www.uci.edu.
If you would like to tell us what you think of the format or information provided by this email, send a message to email@example.com.
Question of the Week responses may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To unsubscribe to this service, send your request to email@example.com. Note: in order for us to unsubscribe a request, we must have your email address that ends with @uci.edu.
If you would like to contribute an announcement to a future Anteater Weekly, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: DEADLINE for submission is the Monday "prior" to the following week of posting.